We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawiian air/Outrigger sweepstakes

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hawiian air/Outrigger sweepstakes

Okay....I have been entering this daily and just decided to read the official rules, the following quote is part of the rules.

"If a Canadian resident is selected as the Potential Winner, he/she must correctly answer a time-based mathematical skill-testing question administered during the aforementioned notification call to be eligible for the prize. "

What????

Can anyone tell me why they would do this?????

Here is the link to the official contest entry.

promotions.outrigger.com/pictureperfect/…

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawiian air/Outrigger sweepstakes

It has something to do with their sweepstakes laws.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawiian air/Outrigger sweepstakes

We have a lot of contests in Canada that actually state right on the rules and regulations that it is not open to people who reside in Quebec!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawiian air/Outrigger sweepstakes

Sounds like a Canadian sweepstakes law.

The good thing is that if you win you probably won't have to pay tax on the value. If an American wins the value of the trip is taxable, just like sweepstakes winnings.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,396 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawiian air/Outrigger sweepstakes

By asking you to answer a math question(s)...

And it will be more like what's 2+2, than calculate pi to the 40th decimal,

It becomes a contest whIch is won by "skill" and not "chance".

Avoiding gambling issues.

Hmmmm, wonder if Quebec has more restrictive laws or if the contest-holders just don't want to print everything in French, too?

Edited: 30 March 2012, 19:13
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawiian air/Outrigger sweepstakes

Most everything is printed in French here. You can not buy mayonnnaise, cereal, toothpaste, soup, a lawnmower, aspirin, without having French on the packaging. If you go to Pacific Rim National Park, the signs are in English and French there as well. Actually, any park that is NATIONAL has to have both languages as both languages are "official".

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawiian air/Outrigger sweepstakes

I think it is a good rule, maybe we should make them do a hula as well

Canada
Level Contributor
9,126 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawiian air/Outrigger sweepstakes

Sweepstakes laws are funny things......inclusions,exclusions, skill testing questions etc.

This contest sounds like it is US based but allows Canadians to participate. If a Canadian were to win, they would be subject to the same taxation as a US resident would.

As for Quebec having stricter or different laws...... Boy, that's a hot one.

Canada is indeed a bilingual country with 2 official languages. Both languages are spoken across the country. Merchandise is only available for sale here if it bears both official languages on it's packaging. It matters not from where it originated......as I look at a packaged of dried egg noodles purchased from our local Chinatown.

Gosh, I'm reminded of a historic case many moons ago where a local Francophone contested his parking ticket violation (and won) because it was in English only(at the time).......oh but I digress.

Although the two countries have rather similar styles of living etc... The laws that govern each can really vary.

Anyhow....contest rules vary greatly and skill testing questions are part of some and not of others. I will say that I have seen plenty when the contest is "Open to US residents only" but have not seen when it is open to both Canada &US with different set of qualifiers. Curious.

Edited: 30 March 2012, 21:08
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawiian air/Outrigger sweepstakes

Thanks everyone.....thought it was a really odd rule but did not know about Canada's laws.

Maui
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawiian air/Outrigger sweepstakes

Aloha Kakou:

Yes, we were advised that the mathematical skill-testing thing is required by Canadian sweepstakes laws.

Here are links to more information about contests in Canada, if you are curious:

…about.com/od/…caskillquestion.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skill_testing_question

You learn something new every day!

Me Ke Aloha,

Bill

10. Re: Hawiian air/Outrigger sweepstakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 10:29