We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui weather in December- worth it?

Conshohocken...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Maui weather in December- worth it?

My husband and I are considering visiting Maui in December. The dates would likely be December 10 - 17. I've been to Oahu in December and it was beautiful and sunny every day, with the occasional and expected brief rainfall. Is Maui a lot different from Oahu in terms of rain and wind? Is it worth it to take a trip at this time? It's really the only time we can go.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,951 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui weather in December- worth it?

No the weather isn't appreciably different on Maui than Oahu. Just remember when visiting Hawaii in the winter months you will always risk having some storms blow through. I'm not talking about trade showers but storms. If it's the only time you can go, then by all means GO!! I bet the chances of sunny weather are larger than chances of storms coming through.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui weather in December- worth it?

Compared to Pennsylvania? You bet it is!! ;-)

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui weather in December- worth it?

Is it worth it? Was for us and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Conshohocken...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui weather in December- worth it?

Did you go in December?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
147 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui weather in December- worth it?

We were in Maui January 2011. Great weather. Travel agent suggested Sheraton/ Kanapalli for best conditions. I had originally asked about Kapalua, and she said more likely to be windy/rainy that time of year. Only slightly stormy day was when we drove to Hana- which was OK to keep us cool. After 5 days in Maui, we spent 5 days in Lanai- another travel agent suggestion for the time of year. Sunny and warm all days. Cooler in Lanai City due to the higher elevation.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui weather in December- worth it?

We've been to Maui various times in December. It can rain - but probably not. Average rainfall in Lahaina for the full month of December is 4.5 inches. Temps in the low 80's more or less ...

Worth it? Oh, yes!!!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Iowa
Level Contributor
12,390 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui weather in December- worth it?

A couple of thoughts about December:

We've been twice in December and twice in January (Oahu and Maui). The weather was about the same and it was MUCH nicer than the weather back home. It's not quite as nice as Summer, but certainly worth it! Like you, K-Ry1031, we go when we can get away.

Last year, first week of December we did not see whales and that was disappointing. Would love to fit in a February trip! We did have wonderful snorkeling and ocean conditions even on the west side in December, better than January for us.

The first and second week of December are probably the quietest weeks of the year. There are pluses and minuses, but mostly we love the lack of crowds. Many activities will be almost private. However you may also find that some places will shut down for some days for refurbishment or staff vacations between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We found this with Napili Slack key Guitar show, Feast at Lele, Castaways Cafe. Most restaurants will still be lively, but getting a table and parking will be easier. And the holiday decorations and shopping are nice. More accommodations are available, hotels will be more likely to upgrade you, and condo owners will give you a bargain. Early December can be a great time to visit Maui and we will probably do it again. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Mentioned in this post
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,372 Reviews
Maui, HI
Feast At Lele
Feast At Lele
1,691 Reviews
Maui, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui weather in December- worth it?

So when you go to Oahu you are in Waikiki. So Waikiki gets better weather than other parts of Oahu.

The beginning of Dec is a great time to come. Just before the Christmas rush and the higher hotel rates.

You sound like you want the dryer areas to stay in like Kihei, Wailea, Maalaea and the closer you are to downtown Lahaina the dryer it is.

Mentioned in this post
Maalaea
Maalaea
55 Reviews
Maui, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui weather in December- worth it?

K-ry, yes we did go in December, from the 12th to 24th and it was divine! The weather cooperated beautifully, although prior to our arrival there had been storms, we were only seeing sunshine. The island was gorgeous and not until the twentieth did we begin to notice an increase in visitors - it was a wonderful way to spend holiday time without being in the holiay crunch (as JimGloria stated) and I do plan to do it again.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,115 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui weather in December- worth it?

You should love it! You should also love the rates then -- the year's lowest season -- as much because it's in between major holidays as anything.

With all the islands, stay south in winter; north in summer. I'd skip Kapalua and Napili on Maui in winter. Could be fine, but could be overly windy and rainy too. Look in South Maui and from Kahana south in West Maui.

You should see some whales if you get out on the ocean, although when we arrived Jan. 3 this year I didn't see many from land for a couple of weeks. The first sighting can be as early as Halloween. Mid-February is peak whale season.

Mentioned in this post
Kahana Beach Resort
Kahana Beach Resort
343 Reviews
Maui, HI
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,372 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI