We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR - It has been awhile.

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Topic
TR - It has been awhile.

This will be my fifth trip to Maui. I don’t really remember too much of the previous trips as my last one was as a teenager 27 years ago. Thanks to the forum board members, and lurking for past several months, I have lots of things to do and see for this and future trips to Maui. The advice of “Over prepare, and then go with the flow” works for me.

Cheers, Winston

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: TR - It has been awhile.

We (DW and I) knew last summer we wanted to go on a vacation beginning of April as I was going on a Spring Nascar race weekend to Martinsville with three other buddies. We did the Caribbean last year and so we decided on Maui. After considering our budget and wanting a central location (cause we couldn’t make up our minds on west/south etc.) we chose a condo in Maalaea. Glad we did, cause it’s only around 20 minutes to Wailea or Lahaina or Paia. As soon as we knew our flight dates we booked a vrbo condo at Maalaea Kai and a car through discounthawaii.

I kissed DW goodbye on Thursday March 29, and I flew to the SE for race weekend with my buds (had a blast), and she headed to Maui. Tuesday April 3rd I had a long day flying from Charlotte to Kahalui (via SFO) to have my DW waiting for me with a fresh lei (from Kmart). After five longs days away, very happy to be in her arms again. Back to the condo and quick bite for supper at Beach Bum’s and I was very ready for bed. Before retiring for the night, we spent some time out front of condo complex watching/smelling/hearing the ocean and I knew we had made the right decision in coming to Maui.

More to come… gotta go Feast at Lele tonight.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maalaea
Maalaea
57 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
711 Reviews
Maui, HI
Feast At Lele
Feast At Lele
1,706 Reviews
Maui, HI
Level Contributor
37,720 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR - It has been awhile.

Let us know how you like Feast @ Lele! :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,641 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR - It has been awhile.

A wonderful time to get away from Northern B. C. too! Would love to hear your impressions of how much Maui has changed... if you have any flashbacks when you see something again!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR - It has been awhile.

off to a great start.."watching/smelling/hearing the ocean"

Look forward to more reports.

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: TR - It has been awhile.

Wednesday, wake up early, still on east coast time, check in with office and deal with a few things. We have a 9am appointment for our in room masseuse to show up. Lined up massages with Laura at maui mobile massage, www.mauioutcallmassage.com before leaving home. DW had a massage morning after she arrived, then we got her to come again for this morning. She set up her massage table in condo, just had the sound of ocean in background (she doesn’t talk during treatment so you can relax/meditate) as I got an hour’s deep circulatory massage. This was just what I needed to get relaxed and in the Maui mood. After my massage I went and had a nap while Laura gave DW a massage. Laura’s rate is $80 per hour plus we gave her a $20 gratuity each because it was so good.

Up and at ‘em all refreshed, off to Kihei. Went to 808 Deli and ate in, I had a very tasty Panini and DW had an excellent salad. Off to check out a beach and we ended up at Palauea beach in Wailea. Just soaked up some sun and gave the other two senses a chance to experience the ocean. After a while I got enough sun, so pack up, hit Safeway on our way back to condo for a few supplies.

Had 530pm reservations to celebrate DW birthday at Merrimans. Arrive before five and went to terrace to enjoy a couple cocktails before being seated. Table was right at front, overlooking terrace and towards the ocean and the sunset. Fully enjoyed our meal, wine, appy’s, entree’s, desert’s, all fantastic. I made note of DW’s b-day when making opentable reservations and they inscribed in chocolate, Hawaiian birthday wishes on her desert plate, nice. Service was great! After supper went down to Lahaina and strolled around for a bit before I needed to head back for bed.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Merriman's
Merriman's
2,981 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,641 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR - It has been awhile.

Merrimans and a birthday... can't go wrong there! And a wonderful way to start the day... Happy Easter too!

Edited: 08 April 2012, 16:56
Mentioned in this post
Merriman's
Merriman's
2,981 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR - It has been awhile.

Nothing could be finer than a weekend at Martinsville and then a plane trip to Maui. Man, I'm jealous!! Thanks for your report!!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: TR - It has been awhile.

Thursday, was Trilogy's Lanai tour, very much enjoyed it, service, food, van tour, beach, snorkeling, all fantastic (as per all the previous recommendations). Long day for me, asleep by 830pm.

Some pictures so far... https:/…

syrahgirl, re: feast at lele, booked five months in advance, got a good table, here is a sample of night... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7IL6ojzk8

HubCityJ0an, I guess as a youth i didn't pay much attention to things while on vacation, other than the increased amount of people I can't recollect much from three decades ago. :-)

More to come, late start this morning, gotta get some snorkling in...

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR - It has been awhile.

Do you like Maalaea Kai? I stay at a nearby Maalaea complex in January and strolled over for a peek. I like the looks of the spacious lawn and all the chaise loungers. Who did you rent your unit from?

Mentioned in this post
Maalaea
Maalaea
57 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
711 Reviews
Maui, HI
Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: TR - It has been awhile.

Hi Barbara, yes we are liking the Ma'alaea Kai, pool, bbq's and grounds clean. Pool open 9am-9pm. Our ground floor 1bdrm condo very nice. Condo well stocked with everything we need (boogie boards to coffee grinder). Owners name is Barbara, and we will definitely consider renting unit again. http://www.vrbo.com/234182

Mentioned in this post
Hana Kai Maui
Hana Kai Maui
711 Reviews
Maui, HI