We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning honeymoon - Oct 2012 - Ka'anapali beach thoughts?

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Planning honeymoon - Oct 2012 - Ka'anapali beach thoughts?

We are planning our honeymoon for this October. Never been to Hawaii, and would like to get some quality relaxing/beach time, snorkel, be able to walk to restaurants/bars. After a few days of relaxing we'd like to do some adventurous stuff - hike, see waterfalls, take a boat trip maybe, take a helicopter trip maybe. Is Ka'anapali beach a good place to stay for all of that?

Also, I don't think we want to stay in a condo. But we would really love to stay around $200/night so that we have room to do excursions/nice dinners.

While we would love to island hop and also see Kauai and BI, I don't think we'll be able to afford it, and I'm looking for a place where we can do/see a lot of different things. Also airfare looks to be the same for us to go into Honolulu or Maui.

I would love your thoughts on whether you think this is a good fit for us, or if you think we should try something else. I've got my travel books, and I"m reading, but what can I say? I like to turn to Trip Advisor experts with these kind of questions :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
146 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning honeymoon - Oct 2012 - Ka'anapali beach thoughts?

We stayed at the Sheraton last January. Based on your description, that area would be a good fit. You can easily walk to other hotels and restaurants.

After 5 nights on Maui, we took the ferry over to Lanai. The Four Seasons on the beach was incredible! But expensive. A totally different experience than Maui.

On Maui, drive the road to Hana (a full day), zip line (we went to Kapalua and then had lunch by the beach at the Ritz), and explore up country. Have fun!

louisville
Level Contributor
49 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning honeymoon - Oct 2012 - Ka'anapali beach thoughts?

We went on our honeymoon to Maui hawaii in jan 2012. It was the best experience. We did

1) road to hana. You don't need a tour bus. Its easy enough to drive yourself. Just go as slow as you want. If anyone behind u wants to pass, they can. it is scary but u should be okay.

2) I wouldn't bike down Halekala unless u r an expert at biking. We felt like Halekala park was wayyyy scarier than road to hana. We just drove up to the peak to see sunset. I heard sunrise is better. If u r a morning person just drive up and see sunrise. It will be a good experience.

3) Walked around lahiana. We saw the banyan tree park, ate ,had ice cream just walked around.

4) We did snorkel with Blue water rafting. they also do snorkel tours. I felt like they weren't as expensive as others.

5) We did do zipline. It was really fun.

6) I heard pony express is realy great, but it was too expensive for us so we skipped it.

7) You have to see the warren & annabelle's magic show. unfortunately we missed it because I didn't book in advance and it was sold out! make sure you book it at least a week before.

8) I would recommend you pick about 3 must do items. Then decide where else u want to go depending on ur mood when u reach there. People tend to get lazy and laid back in hawaii so don't do over planning.

You said you don't want to stay in a condo. Why not? we stayed in a condo which was walking distance from kaanapali beach and the ocean was just few feet away from our balcony. and it was only $170 a night. Resorts tend to really overcharge for the ocean view rooms. We had a kitchen, bedroom and a living room and free parking and wi-fi. It's your choice, but I would really consider looking into condos too. We stayed at KALEIALOHA CONDOMINIUMS and would do it again!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning honeymoon - Oct 2012 - Ka'anapali beach thoughts?

If Maui was your first choice and you are trying to keep costs down, stick to the one island. Maui is a smaller island and you can easily go many places in one day. Being located on the west side will have you driving longer to get to the other areas because there is only one route. That bothers some people and others could care less.

Kaanapali offers great snorkeling, access to many restaurants and shops within walking distance and beautiful beaches. You are smart to be using TA as well as other book resources. My favorite book is No Worries Hawaii. Wealth of information about all the Hawaiian islands and what to expect vacationing on the islands. It is a different state of mind, island time, slower pace, etc. Have a wonderful vacation!

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning honeymoon - Oct 2012 - Ka'anapali beach thoughts?

Kaanapali would be a great place for your honeymoon! Maui is such a beautiful island, our time there was much too short. Kapalua, Napii Bay, DT Fleming and Honolua Bay are all easy driving distance from Kaanapali.

I hope you have a great honeymoon! :)

Newport Beach
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning honeymoon - Oct 2012 - Ka'anapali beach thoughts?

I think Kaanapali will be a great choice for you. There are four resorts to choose from (Sheraton, Westin, Hyatt and Marriott) that are all walking distance from one another. All great places although Marriott tends to offer a bit less in terms of on site ameneties (since it is both timeshare and hotel, it is not quite as "resorty" as the others, although great oceanfront location and decent pools). In the middle of all these resorts is Whaler's Village, offering shopping and several restaurants (Leilani's and Hula Grill, both oceanfront, both offering more expensive fine dining, or a very casual and affordable outdoor oceanfront experience). What is nice about Kaanapali is that you are a short 10 minute drive to Lahaina (or a free hotel shuttle, depending on your resort, or I think $1 or $2 trolley ride, which may help if you don't want to drive back after restaurant/bars). Lahaina has a wide variety of both restaurnats and bars and is a nice town to walk and shop in. You can also venture 15-20 minutes north to as far as Kapalua and there are many restaurants in that direction worth checking out. If you decide these resorts are too pricey, you can consider the following that should cost less but have a couple disadvantages to condider:

- The Whaler (more of a condo deal in a high rise). Great location next to Whalers Village, same great beach and view and location, however, pool is pretty small, no on site amenities (like bar or restaurants) and grounds are not resort like.

- Kaanapali beach hotel, right between Whaler and Sheraton. It does have one or two restaurants and a bar, but is very old and dated (they call it Hawaii's most authentic hotel I believe which is good and bad). Not sure how the rooms are. Again pool and grounds are OK but not resort like, but location, view, beach is all well sitauted.

Good luck!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
816 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning honeymoon - Oct 2012 - Ka'anapali beach thoughts?

Hi there & Congratulations!

Ka'anapali is a great honeymoon spot. I personally think the Westin is a great location for honeymooners. It has beautiful grounds and is a pretty reasonable in price for what you get. Its a bit less commercial than the Sheraton (the pools in particular). The Westin pools are spectacular but seem a bit less claustrophobic than the Sheraton. While its not necessary to have an oceanview room, I will say one of my favorite things to do in Maui (at any resort) is to sit on the lanai and drink coffee while watching the sunrise (trust me you'll be up that early at least for the first couple of days because of the time change). So for that reason it may be worth a few extra bucks to spring for the view...it is your honeymoon after all! :-)

As far as things to do, I would really suggest driving to Honolua Bay. Catamarans can take you there, but you can drive there for less money and can see beatiful scenic views along the way. Just be sure to swim out far enough! That's where all the fish are. Another bay that I discovered on my last trip is Honokeana Bay. I don't typically demand people to do things, but you MUST go to this bay. It is very near Napili Bay. My suggestion would be to spend a day at Napili Bay...my favorite beach on the island, and walk over to Honokeana Bay at some point. It is definitely close enough to walk. Honokeana Bay is a guaranteed spot to see a ton of honu (sea turtles). There were so many that I had to look where I was swimming! Then you could head over to the Sea House for pupus (appetizers) and cocktails for their Happy Hour. This restaurant is located directly on Napili Bay.

Some fun activities other than that could be horseback riding (I went to Ironwood ranch and had a great time but other posts have recommended Mendes Ranch if you are more interested in galloping).

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning honeymoon - Oct 2012 - Ka'anapali beach thoughts?

There is a whole different area of Maui no one has suggested yet. You need to also look in Kihei, Wailea or Makena. This area is in south Maui. Kihei is a typical beach town, full of condo's, a couple of hotels, restaurants, shops etc. Wailea is more upscale with the island's best hotels. Further south is Makena, set apart from everything else and yet, just a few minutes drive into Wailea and Kihei.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning honeymoon - Oct 2012 - Ka'anapali beach thoughts?

I think for what you are looking for, Kaanapali is a great fit. I am not sure you'll find a place that meets your budget -- i would also consider condos. You could also check Kihei or Wailea -- Wailea is decidedly upscale -- with a price to go along with it. Kihei, much less so, and cheaper, but not many (if any) "resorts" ... more condos.

9. Re: Planning honeymoon - Oct 2012 - Ka'anapali beach thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:42