We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone used Kihea Rental Car recently?

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
169 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone used Kihea Rental Car recently?

I found a post where someone planned to use them, but I was looking for people who used the agency.

I have asked for a quote also from discounthawaiicarrental.com. I did find a lot of reviews mentioning the discount agency.

1. Re: Has anyone used Kihea Rental Car recently?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 April 2012, 18:05
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone used Kihea Rental Car recently?

I have

They were awesome to deal with.

we got an 03 which was perfect for our group.

They tossed in the car seat and 2 boosters for the kids FREE.

So friendly.

I would rent from them again.

airport pick up and drop off was excellent. It gave me a chance to see the area before having to drive anywhere.

The driver they sent us was awesome, so full of helpful info.

No BS charges for anything.

p.s. march 22-31/12

Edited: 14 April 2012, 06:02
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone used Kihea Rental Car recently?

Our friends always rent a jeep form them. Jeeps are old, reliable and no frills, but cheaper than the new ones at the major companies..

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
169 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone used Kihea Rental Car recently?

Thanks. I am waiting on a quote, :-)

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
169 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone used Kihea Rental Car recently?

I saved over $200. ..very happy. :-)

Texas
Level Contributor
816 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone used Kihea Rental Car recently?

My son and daughter-in-law rented from them; their car konked out by the old pineapple? factory between Kahului and Kihei, as they were on their way to Hana, with a 14-month-old in the car. Yikes. But, Kihel Rental Car came out to get them and changed cars promptly; lucky for my son they were relatively close to Kihei. However, if you plan to go to Hana, or a long distance, I'm not sure I'd rent from them; really, who wants to spend precious time waiting somewhere for a car to be exchanged. To me, the little bit you save isn't worth it--I looked at their rates last week, and they are quite expensive, I thought. I say, get a car at the airport and not worry, through discounthawaiicarrental or whatever that web site is--great rates and hardly more.

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
169 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone used Kihea Rental Car recently?

They were $200 less than discounthawaii. That is the first one I called.

I have some time to decide, but I have reservations for now.

Thanks!

J

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,721 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone used Kihea Rental Car recently?

Aloha,

The problem is you're really trying to compare pineapple and mango, Jen. Kihei Rental rents cars they own, which are old to older.

Discount has contracts with all the major agencies, so you are renting from Hertz, Budget, Enterprise, etc., etc. This means you have the same contacts and services that you would if you called and rented from the agency direct, but you get a better price through Discount. They act as a consolidator, and that means you get the same new to newer cars anyone else renting from the agency does.

For 200 difference, I'd rather have a 2011 or 2012 vehicle than a 2003. Our climate and visitors are hard on vehicles.

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
169 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone used Kihea Rental Car recently?

Yes, I realized discounthawaii was using name brand car rentals. I feel a little guilty, but I also kept my reservation with them. I decided I can always cancel them.

You have definitely given me something to think about with the rental. I am taking my two and six year old on the trip. Honestly, I hadn't really thought about the climate being hard on vehicles. Again... the only time I was there... I arrived on a cruise ship. :-)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,022 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone used Kihea Rental Car recently?

Rates for car rentals with the major rental agencies often come down as you get closer to your trip (unless you're going at prime time, in which case they're likely to just keep going up) ... keep checking the rates with discounthawaii for any drops in prices. Last year our rental price bottomed out about 3 weeks prior to our trip, but in previous years we've seen prices drop right up to the week before we went.

There's a very informative post on rental cars in the top questions (on the right side of this page) that might be of help if you haven't already read it.