We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay in paia for 2 nights, then 6 in kanaapali?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
stay in paia for 2 nights, then 6 in kanaapali?

I am flirting with staying in Paia for two nights, then in Kanaapali for the remaining six. Huelo Point Lookout looks nice, but I'm not sure if they'll let us stay for only 2 nights... If I stayed in Paia, we would do the sunrise at Haleakala the first morning there, go to Mama's, Garden of Eden, etc. I have already planned to do the RTH on a tour, which is fine for us if it's done out of Kanaapali. If we stayed in Kanaapali for the whole time, we'd skip the sunrise (which may be more relaxing), and just do Paia in a day trip. What would you do? Is it too much of a hassle to move hotels? If you would stay in Paia (or somewhere close) for the two nights, where would you stay? We want ocean view, but would like to pay less than $350. A bed and breakfast with a kitchen would be perfect. Thanks!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay in paia for 2 nights, then 6 in kanaapali?

Huelo Point says it is 30-40 minutes from the airport so not in Paia at all, you would have to back-track 20 minutes to the Haleakala turn-off. In the early morning the drive from Kaanapali to the turn off should be 45 minutes to an hour. You are gaining maybe 30 minutes. I'm afraid I don't see the upside in switching lodging to save that unless you just want a different experience. Remember you will have luggage in the car as you move which limits stops along the way.

If you are intent on the idea look at Mama's Fishhouse Inn or the Paia Inn. Closer than the B&B you mentioned.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,083 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay in paia for 2 nights, then 6 in kanaapali?

whoa, take it a bit slower...you will get on hawaiian time really fast..

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,315 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay in paia for 2 nights, then 6 in kanaapali?

Having a place for 2 days with a kitchen, then having to pack up the groceries, keep them cold for hours until check in, and go through the process of unpacking them again is a fair bit of effort ... unless you only buy enough groceries for those first two days, and then shop again when you get to the condo. I would stay at the condo for the full 8 days...it will go fast, and you'll probably be glad that you didn't spend half a day relocating from one accommodation to another.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay in paia for 2 nights, then 6 in kanaapali?

I'm with charley......slow down! Don't try to cover so much ground. You need some time to just sit on the sand. Also, the island ain't that big...driving from one side to the other isn't a 4 hour ordeal.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,393 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: stay in paia for 2 nights, then 6 in kanaapali?

Whether you stay West Maui or South Maui, just GO there and settle in. You can cross the valley between Wailea/Kihei and Kahului in twenty minutes -- a bit longer out of Kaanapali -- quite a bit longer out of Kapalua. IMO Paia doesn't warrant an overnight.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
135 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay in paia for 2 nights, then 6 in kanaapali?

I stayed at the Huelo Point Flower Farm, they have a bedroom on a cliff over the water, it was memorable. I believe it is Gay friendly, but we are not gay and loved it. Check it out !!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,240 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stay in paia for 2 nights, then 6 in kanaapali?

I'm going to assume you are flying with WestJet or Air Canada from Vancouver (or flying from Seattle???). If you are with WJ or AC, you will most likely be landing in the dark, or it will be by the time you get your rental car. The drive to West Maui and Ka'anapali will take you about 45 minutes. There won't be too much traffic at that time of night. So I figure, go for it... just the once place will be fine.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: stay in paia for 2 nights, then 6 in kanaapali?

thank you for all of your responses. I can see what you mean, Mama, that we won't be saving that much time. We do plan to only buy enough groceries to last us a few days at a time (we like to eat fresh), but regardless, I agree it will be a pain moving any of the fridge contents. Don't worry, we will spend lots of time relaxing :) Most of our activities will only happen if we feel like doing them! My husband and I were thinking that the idea of staying at a private little cottage for the first 2-3 days seemed quite romantic, but I have a feeling that increasing the chance of hanging out with cane spiders, being a drive away from good snorkeling, having to deal with refrigerated consumables when changing accommodations and not being directly on the beach will be an issue... Joan, aren't the YVR times awful? We decided to fly out of Seattle because of it. We'll probably stick with one place. As always, thanks for all your advice!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,240 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stay in paia for 2 nights, then 6 in kanaapali?

We are actually flying out of Seattle for the first time ever this upcoming trip. I am so excited to see Maui in the day light upon landing! And we can go get groceries at Costco too without having to wait for the next morning.

AND... no waiting around all day long with the luggage in the vehicle waiting for your flight time. Then having to sleep... make that try to sleep on the red eye. AND then having to get in line for a ferry. Staying overnight in Seattle doesn't bother me in the least.

10. Re: stay in paia for 2 nights, then 6 in kanaapali?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 April 2012, 22:05