We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty "wild card" car rental

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Thrifty "wild card" car rental

Has anyone used the "wild card" special with Thrifty car rental? It says they will pick the car for you with the minimum being "compact." I'm wondering if they actually ever give you an upgrade from that and if anyone has used this option, particularly in Maui.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty "wild card" car rental

They will give you the least popular car, or a choice. Dollars lock low and go (owned by thrifty) gave me a 'premium' car this last time as nobody wants a large car now with $5 gas. One year, we got a convertible, most times a mid size or there abouts. One time they wanted to give me a van, and I had to protest quite a bit before they have me a ford escape instead

Anyways, Thrifty is a legit operation and the 'wild card' or 'lock low and go' are great programs

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
411 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty "wild card" car rental

Join their incentive program and get a member number for some great discounts over the rack rate. Dollar/Thrifty are the same, Dollar is slightly closer to OGG.

I went with Dollar this year and got a compact for 11 days/$337. Keep on checking rates through your departure because rates often go down. I checked a day after I booked and saved $100!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty "wild card" car rental

My last few visits, I've been offered a full sized SUV for no upgrade charge. They definitely have trouble booking the big cars. I passed.

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
411 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty "wild card" car rental

-Keep on checking rates through your departure because rates often go down. I checked a day after I booked and saved $100!

Rebooked with Dollar again today, saved another $20= Two mai-tais!

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
411 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrifty "wild card" car rental

-Rebooked with Dollar again today, saved another $20= Two mai-tais!

Did it again this afternoon, saved $41. Total since the original reservation: $161!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrifty "wild card" car rental

Thanks for the reminder. I just rebooked with enterprise and saved over $200. This is my fourth time booking. Almost $300 lower than when I started. I don't get it.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,993 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thrifty "wild card" car rental

That's a nice bonus Mauigirl! At this time of year rates are quite reasonable because it's the end of the 'high season'. Our cost for a compact last year at the end of April/early May was $340. for 14 days/ all taxes in. Is the price similar this year?

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thrifty "wild card" car rental

$376. Jeep. For 11 days

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,119 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thrifty "wild card" car rental

Susan, I booked with discounthawaiicarrental last October... 14 days for 422.00, taxes in. That price has not changed at all since and I have checked with them twice. We fly out on Monday, April 30th, and was wondering if it was worth checking it again, one last time. The only thing on the web that I have seen cheaper is Advantage, and after checking some older threads, I decided to STAY AWAY from this company.

We are with Alamo right now through discounthawaii.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,993 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thrifty "wild card" car rental

Hi Joan

Our rental was with Enterprise & I'm seeing rates with them for an Intermediate for $347 - all taxes/fees in for April 30th to May 14th. (I stand corrected on my previous post ... it was an intermediate, not a compact that we had last year.)

Last year I booked via Costco's website, but I've noticed since then they they say you have to be a U.S. resident to use Costco travel...but it was only 5% less using Costco vs. booking directly with Enterprise.

Our experience with Enterprise was good.

Susan

p.s. Here's the breakdown that I got on their website just now:

Intermediate

Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra or similar

2 or 4 doors

Automatic Transmission

Air Conditioning

AM/FM CD Player

Start: Apr 30, 2012,Noon

End: May 14, 2012,Noon

2 Week @

$ 99.66 USD $ 199.32 USD