We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not So Rough Itinery

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Not So Rough Itinery

I say not so rough because some of the things are bought and paid for. Any tips and or ideas, places to east whatever please tell me.Arriving in less thatn 100 hours.:) yes I'm counting.

Here goes:

MAUI 2012 ITINERY

DAY 1: Arrive 11:30 am

Pick-Up Jeep from Enterprise

Lunch?

Check-In at Condo 3:00

Groceries Foodland

Dinner?

DAY 2: 2:45 am Drive to Haleakala for sunset

Kula Lodge for breakfast

Ulupalakua Ranch, Store, Winery

Lavendar Farm

Makawao Komodo Bakery

Paia

DAY 3: Swap Meet 7-1

Lahaina, Shave Ice, Sanuks

Old Lahaina Luau 5:45- 8:45

DAY 4: Snorkeling Ahihi/Dumps

Breakfast at Kihei Cafe

DAY 5: Road To Hana

Breakfast at Charlies

Ho okipa to watch surfers

DAY 6: Pearl Harbor for DH 5:15 - 8:10

Me - Whatever

DAY 7:

DAY 8: Paragon Lanai Snorkel 8:15 - 4:00

Day 9: Lahaina

Warren & Annabelle's 7:30 - 11:30

Day 10: Swap Meet 7-1

Maui Onion Festival

Whalers Village

DAY 11:

DAY 12: 3:00 Check-out

5:00 Drop off rental

7:30 Depart

Extra's

Iao Valley

Shops of Wailea

Bamboo Forest

Makena Beach

Visit Thrift/Vintage Stores

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not So Rough Itinery

Looks pretty good...don't be afraid to drop, skip, switch or change any of those unpaid activities if the spirit moves you! :-)

Relax and enjoy!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,028 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not So Rough Itinery

I see you have the swap meet on your list twice. No need for that, I don't think!! You could visit Iao Valley at the same time, it's in the area.

You will have time to hike the Pipiwai Trail when you go to Hana. Lots of people do. Charley's doesn't open till 7:00am. About an hour late for me to be stopping before Hana.

You could also snorkel Maluaka after Ahihi, drop by Big Beach and have a look at the Shops at Wailea all on the same day.

I'm sure you are doing sunrise at 2:45 am and not sunset!!

Have fun on your Paragon Lanai snorkel!!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not So Rough Itinery

My only quibble would be getting up at 2:45 a.m. your first day in Maui to drive to Haleakala. After a day of flying -- probably up early as well -- you may still be a bit weary. Perhaps you're young enough to handle it -- I know we always plan a "down" day for our first sunrise in Maui!

Other than that, you've got a pretty good handle on it. Breakfasts at Charley's and Kihei Cafe, Warren & Annabelle's, Ho'okipa wind surfers,Maui swap meet. Always "musts" on our list. One additional suggestion for first dinner in Kihei -- Cuatro at the Foodland Shopping Center. Dinners are 25% off from 4 to 6 and the food is amazing. Fresh seafood with several preparation choices are a specialty! BYOB.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 21:59
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not So Rough Itinery

Thank you everyone,

I will definately to Iao Valley after the swap meet, I'll take a cooler.. I like to do the swap meet every Sat. as I get most of my fruits and veggies there, the 2nd sat is a maybe. Where is Maluaka? Is that The Dumps? If so I/ve got the directions to that. Yes, we will definatly go to big beach, thats where I broke my leg last year. And yes to Shops of Wailea. I'll change up my sunset to sunrise, I think my first morning will be best for this since we are still on BC time, I wake at 6am which is 3am maui so as much as i would love to stay at the condo I know that if I leave it for a couple days i would never do it. The last time I went up there for sunrise was 16 years ago and it was fogged in so I've never gone again. Cuatro sounds good but unfortunately without a view, I may have to get takeout from there one day.

Thanks again,

84 hours till we board.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,028 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not So Rough Itinery

Maluaka is the beach that sits in front of the Makena Beach and Golf Resort which you come to before getting to Big Beach. The "dumps" in Ahihi is beyond Big Beach.

We often recommend people go do the sunrise on Haleakala the first morning of their trip. Seems to work out well for most people!!

Level Contributor
36,173 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not So Rough Itinery

Looks great! :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not So Rough Itinery

You will be just fine, whatever you choose. Just be warned... we will all be looking for those trip reports! After all the planning on here, and those wonderful threads you started, you will need to let us know how you did!

See you at the Onion Festival!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not So Rough Itinery

Thank you Joan.

Watch for us. :). I'll post a pic

Have you been to the onion festival before? Any idea when the onion eating contest is?

Aloha

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not So Rough Itinery

We went to the onion festival in 2010. Dave loves cooking (he still cooks supper most nights), and he went to all the demonstrations he could. Not sure about the eating contest time, but there is a website for the festival. If you google it, it should come up right away. It was on another thread about the festival very recently.

We had some fresh crab just two weeks ago, and he pulled out one of the recipes from there for crab cakes with Maui onion and Southern Comfort onion relish. Yum! We substitute Walla Walla onions as we can't get the Maui onions.

try www.whalersvillage.com/onionfestival.htm

Keiki onion eating contest is at 3:30, adults at 4:00.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 19:00
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not So Rough Itinery

Oh No!!!!!!

weather forecast is calling for rain on fri. All over the island. This is the one day I wanted to go to Haleakala What will I do? Could I still do the RTH that day? Even with the rain? Would it spoil the drive? Darn. Oh well