We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchase a snorkeling trip or explore on our own?

Independence...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Purchase a snorkeling trip or explore on our own?

Hi all, Going to Maui the end of May & cannot decide for the life of me if we should spend $169+ or explore on our own. Especially since we'll be going to a luau & possible horseback ride. What's your opinion? Ideas? Thank you all in advance!!!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchase a snorkeling trip or explore on our own?

If you are experienced snorkelers there is no need to book a boat, lot's of gorgeous and easy snorkeling from shore. However, while horseback rides are fun on island, there really is nothing like being out on the water! Maybe a much cheaper sunset sail?

Independence...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchase a snorkeling trip or explore on our own?

Yes we're experienced snorkelers. We plan on renting gear for the week and will probably plan our beach time around snorkeling & beachcombing. I am so excited!!!! Thank you for the info mamma!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchase a snorkeling trip or explore on our own?

You are staying at the KBH right? There are several sunset cruises that leave a short walk down Kaanapali Beach from you...Teralani, Trilogy and Gemini, all great trips.

Black Rock is fine for snorkeling but do walk north a bit to the beach park for AWESOME snorkeling. Also go north to Honolua Bay.

FYI...there is not a whole lot to "comb" on the beaches in Hawaii. My precious shells came from my Son's friend "walking a rock" along the ocean bottom training for free diving.

bg washington
Level Contributor
234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchase a snorkeling trip or explore on our own?

Try out Kahakilki (airport) beach which is just on the other side of Black Rock. Beautiful beach and snorkeling was better than Black Rock, plus a beautiful park and lots of parking.

If you don't mind driving, head for the "dumps" for the best snorkeling on Maui. Head south until you get to the lava beds, past Kihei, Wailea, Big Beach and Ahii Cove..

Independence...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchase a snorkeling trip or explore on our own?

Yes, we're staying at the KBH. I've thought of a sunset cruise. The only thing keeping me from it is knowing that it gets windier as the day goes on. Right. I have some muscle issues and don't know how the boat will move and cold/wind effects me... Honolua & Black Rock is on my list, I will add to go north a bit. And I should say just beachcombing to look at God's creatures & landscape! I have plenty of shells from other areas and really don't, shouldn't bring one more shell home. LOL!

Independence...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchase a snorkeling trip or explore on our own?

How far is the dumps from Lahaina? I've seen the dumps on a lot of to do lists! Thanks!!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,189 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchase a snorkeling trip or explore on our own?

On the right side of the page, click on the Top Questions, Where do I Snorkel and What are some good Maui websites.

The website question has a section for snorkeling.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchase a snorkeling trip or explore on our own?

Well just my tribe of snorkelers but they were much more thrilled by the snorkeling to the north.

Cheri, in the many, many years we have of sunset cruises we only had one that was a rock'n'roller. And that one was in the winter months! End of May should be amazing!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,540 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchase a snorkeling trip or explore on our own?

Since you are an avid snorkeler (welcome to the club), you should try to do both!! There is nothing like getting out on the water, enjoying the view, good food and drink and also jumping into the water!! I'm just a sucker for a good boat tour.

That said, the shore snorkeling is also awesome. Skip Black Rock, much better places on the west side. Kahekili Beach Park, Kapalua and Honolua Bay's.

Moanakala (aka the dumps) is located past Makena in south Maui. It will take almost an hour for you to get there from Kaanapali. Well worth the drive as this is among the top areas on Maui to snorkel. While down in south Maui you should also go to Maluaka Beach which sits in front of the Makena Beach and Golf Resort.

Independence...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchase a snorkeling trip or explore on our own?

Dusty - I didn't even notice those links! LOL! I have more research to do! Thanks!

Momma - thanks, good info! We are definatly going on a sunset cruise now!

MsFuzz - I see you are from Ohau, I lived there from 76-79 & really struggled if I should go back or explore another island. Someday I will definatly go back, I have so many wonderful memories there! I will add all your snorkeling ideas to my running beach list!

Have a great day!