We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best fish to grill?

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
733 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Best fish to grill?

I plan on tucking in several cedar/pecan grilling planks as well as grilling wrap papers in my suitcase to use for grilling local fish. I want to visit "Fish Market Maui" on Honopilani Rd to purchase local fish. I've read on this forum that Guava/Shoyu marinade is great for seafood. What are the best local fish to grill?

I plan to also pack parchment paper to do a fish en pappillote. Recommended fish for this method?

One of our greatest pleasures in traveling is visiting farmer's & fish or meat markets to try local products. One great find two years ago on Kauai was their local beef which we purchased from a gas station in Princeville!

We visited the Swap Meet in Kahului several years ago for produce and plan to go there again on our upcoming September 2012 vacation. Plus, loved the recent thread on Farmer's Mkts.

Any "foodie" ideas are greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Fish Market Maui
Fish Market Maui
1,287 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Maui Swap Meet
Maui Swap Meet
460 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best fish to grill?

whole fish on the grill lightly rubbed with some Hawaiian salt in aluminum foil. very simple and comes out more steammed.

Im a sucker for misoyaki butterfish, found at Times its a bit pricey. this one throw the fish on the foil flat on the grill, cover if possible.

I find mahi mahi and ono best for grilling and tatse for white fish. opah and marlin steaks are fine too.

grilled pineapple シ or make some salsa for your fish with mango, in season

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best fish to grill?

Agree with all of the above. If you are going to grill on a plank you need an oily fish that is why Salmon does well. Obviously you aren't going to be buying Salmon in Hawaii. I might leave those at home at go with more of a simple prep. Fruit salsas, or a mexican prep withlime and cilantro and if the fish is especially good just lemon, butter, garlic and some herbs. Simple is better with good fish.

B.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,281 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best fish to grill?

Aloha,

Opah and Monchong are higher moisture fish-to me, they are a little more forgiving on a grill.

Ono, opakapaka are great on a grill if you are careful. They would be great in the foil or en pappillote.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best fish to grill?

All great ideas and I'll add the Ahi steaks we have gotten from The Fish Market...Daughter got to watch the owner haggling with a fishman over the fish in the back of his pick-up.

You should also try some of the Maui beef available at Long's Drug.

Mentioned in this post
Fish Market Maui
Fish Market Maui
1,287 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best fish to grill?

My favorite of course is ahi. And if you have a chance to purchase Nairugi it is amazing sashimi style. Another fish I really like is Kajiki which can be sashimi or grilled. Monchong and Butaguchi are my favourite grilling fish. I am not a fan of Shutome.

That said, I have not kept up on sustainability, which is always a good thing to do.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best fish to grill?

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll leave the grilling planks at home & just use foil and parchment.

QFOX, does Times sell the Butterfish already in the Misoyaki marinade?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,759 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best fish to grill?

For grilling I actually like Marlin steaks. Just coat it with a little EVOO and lightly grill.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best fish to grill?

yes they do and almost always in stock, just so you know this is not a local fish, just locals love it. the stores have been selling walu (escolar lately and this is refered to as Hawaiian butterfish but its not as good and its been implicated in side affects. I still eat it but you will see by its white color flesh its something different.

you can also make the misoyaki with any fish, a good 2 to 3 days marinating though. its sake, mirin, miso paste, sugar and ginger. we add a little soy sauce and just wing it not measuring. also like miso paste and peanut butter on chicken grilled.

I was the grill chef at Buzz's Lanikai for a little while and if you can find the right temperature and a good metal spatula for the flip all you will need is a little clarified butter and lemon for a nice dish. happy grilling

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best fish to grill?

Thanks for the grilling tips, QFOX! I will tuck my metal fish spatula in the side pocket of my suitcase.

Aloha!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best fish to grill?

walu=escolar=hawaiian butterfish=super white tuna=snakemackeral=poopypantsfish

Japan banned the sale of this fish in the 70's.

Note some hawaiian butterfish at better restaurants serve black cod or sablefish which is a completely different fish, and very tasty.