We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must have food treats

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Must have food treats

Hi all:

We are looking forward to adventures of all types including food treats. We are open to all types of flavors. We will be going to both the Feast of LeLe and Old Lahaina Luau.

What are traditional, must have food items during our time in Maui?

Many thanks in advance for responding

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,350 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must have food treats

Spam musubi, loco moco, lua lau, kalua pork, poi, poke, huli huli chicken. This will give you a start!!

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must have food treats

Ululaniʻs shave ice!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must have food treats

Food treats to me means Honolulu cookies! I do not know how traditional they are but they are so good!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must have food treats

Stop in at a supermarket and go to the fish counter. You will see dozens of types of Poke (pO-kay or pO-key, I've heard both used). This is cubes of uncooked fish (typically ahi tuna) in various sauces and is absolutely delicious. You'll get traditional ahi poke at the luaus, but hit the super markets for some real interesting combinations. They will be happy to give you a sample to try, before you buy. We usually get the small containers of two or three different flavors at a time. Ahi Avocado was my favorite last year, but we'll see what wins this summer!

Shave ice is a must try. Think snow cone, but with the ice shaved into a light treat, rather than crushed.

Far from traditional, but Ono Gelato has great ice creams and gelatos with island flavors. Lilikoi (passion fruit) is my wife's favorite, while I liked the "sandy beach".

And if you can find them, try the Mauna Loa Milk Chocolate Coconut Macadamia Nuts. As great as regular milk chocolate mac nuts are, add in coconut and it gets even better!

Visit Star Noodle (same owners as Old Lahaina Luau and Feast at Lele) for some very cool, modern Asian fusion foods. Their steamed pork buns are my all-time favorite Maui food.

Have a great trip!

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must have food treats

treats sounds like cookies to me also but I prefer the Maui Cook Kwees brand, picking the white chocolate macadamia as my fave. the shave ice also rolls perfect under treats.

msfuzz got it right for the must have though, gotta try the Hawaiian food, and style of cuisine we eat. if you can find squid luau or salt meat luau thats a must try. for exrta on the local fare you can look into Takamiya Market. its a mouth watering little store, your sure to find something.

Guri Guri at the Maui Mall has been a fave for a long time but I pick the shave ice over it.

takamiyamarket.com/index.php…

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60631-d81…

all the Longs Drugs stores have crack seed, Maui Potato Chips and other local sweets like bibinka and mochi. S E Asia is pretty good for fruits but Hawaii mango's beats them in this department. now in season you can find fresh mango or pickeld mango going around.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 23:51
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Must have food treats

Many thanks! These items all sound good. From savory to sweet. I'm going to make a list of what everyone suggests so we can have fun trying them as we find them. I especially like the non tourist stuff. We will have a condo and will be able to prepare our own meals too so the suggestions of fun markets is great! Please keep adding suggestions.

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
432 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Must have food treats

Maui Gold pineapples(take them home, no charge for luggage!).

Komoda Bakery(You can order a day earlier to avoid sellouts).

Maui coffee(Maui Grown is the best!).

Lapperts Ice Cream

Cheap- Haupia yogurt and Maui onion potato chips(made on Mainland though!)

Poke

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must have food treats

Spam musubi...ahhh! They sell this in grocery stores and gas station mini-marts and they sell out early!

I agree with mmm...Mauigrown coffee! Don't miss it! Our fave is the spicy Tako poke from Safeway!

OOps almost forgot Katsu Chicken plate lunch from L&L!

p a
unict
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Must have food treats

Shave ice - lilikoi, mango, or pineapple

Kalua pork

Maui Golds

Malasadas

Honolulu Cookie Company shortbread cookies

Hayden Lake, ID