We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joan's Trip Report, May 2nd

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,217 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Joan's Trip Report, May 2nd

We had a most relaxing day... started the morning on the lanai as usual with our coffee, watching all the people going by. The Surfside is pretty neat that way. All the units face the water, and look over the "green space" towards Kihei and the Kam beaches. The field is really quite large and anytime you look out, there is someone using the park. You can see locals playing crochet, or a group practicing their tai chi, or at least I think that is what they are dong. There are the dog walkers too, and of course, all kinds of walkers and joggers going through to the Kihei boat ramp, or coming out of the trail continuing south towards Wailea.

After breakfast we went for our own walk into Kihei. We used the trail through to the boat ramp, then continued along the beaches. It was along the trail to the Kihei boat ramp that we finally met the Surfside kitty. We would not have seen her at all if some other couple had not brought out some food for her. She has made a little home in the bushes along the trail there. I shall pick up some proper kitty food now that I know where is residing.

Walking along the beach was just beautiful. We went all the way north to Kam 1 Beach before we crossed the street and entered the first of many ABC stores! We didn't buy a whole lot only because we didn't want to carry too much back to the condo. My only purchase was a two pack of Cookkwees cookies! We crossed the street again and used the beach route for the walk back to the Surfside again.

As soon as we got back to the condo, I packed up my water bottle and my e reader and headed for the pool. I got this e-reader at Christmas and have never used it until this trip. I am not sure I like it yet, but it certainly does help with the weight restrictions and the luggage quandary when traveling. I finished "War Horse" and now I can watch the movie at a later date.

We had lunch at the condo, chicken sandwiches. That chicken we bought at Costco was huge... we've already used it for two suppers, and now it is being used for lunches!

After lunch I headed out to the green space with my e-reader again. The wind was just howling through and it was hard to hold anything down. I was watching the fire fighters with their jetski practice rescue missions. The swells were so high, and it made for quite the show. They were rescuing people in the water as well as someone on a windsurfer. Eventually, I gave up trying to read. Between watching the fire fighters and the wind, I wasn't getting very far in the story and I had to keep one hand on my hat!

So we went for another walk! This time we headed south. Keawakapu Beach is just so beautiful. It seems to go on and on, and there are seldom many people here. We walked as far as Ulua Beach, a little further, and then had to turn around and head back to the condo. We had to get ready for our Willie K night!

Willie K performs most Wednesday nights at Mulligans on the Blue. Last October we went to the show only, and enjoyed it immensely. This year you can only do dinner and the show. $65.00 each, a good deal. We headed up early and sat at the bar enjoying our mai tais during happy hour. Just before six we were seated inside and started the dinner. Salad first, then pumpkin soup. The soup was fantastic... I could have left the salad and had two bowls of soup! We both ordered the lobster tail, and this was followed by dessert. And then the best part.. Uncle Willie! He had his two daughters there again, and the eldest daughter danced hula while he sang. His youngest daughter, not even 4 yet, I am sure, climbed onto his lap and sang two songs. Willie closed the show singing "Danny Boy", a song that can give you chicken skin.

We bought his Christmas CD after the show. I actually e-mailed them a couple of weeks before flying here and asked if they could find one on a back shelf and bring it along. Given the time of year, I couldn't be sure they would bother bringing them to the show.

We got home just before nine thirty, and headed off to bed right away, The birds start early here!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Joan's Trip Report, May 2nd

We saw Willie K. At the MACC last spring and it was so awesome ! Something as simple as going on walks is just special on Maui! Have fun!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,389 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Joan's Trip Report, May 2nd

Already sounds wonderful J0an!!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Joan's Trip Report, May 2nd

Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Joan's Trip Report, May 2nd

Aloha,

YEAH!!! She's relaxing, enjoying, and having fun with her hubby. Congrats and have another great day, Joan!

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
754 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Joan's Trip Report, May 2nd

Sounds so nice... Just curious if you need to arrive at the Willie K. show early or are all the seats good? We are thinking about going first week of June (still waiting for the schedule to be posted).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
814 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Joan's Trip Report, May 2nd

You found Roxie !! I had a water dish and a food dish for her! If you call her when you get to her log she comes running. She was sitting on my lap by the time we left!

So glad you're having a good time. And so happy I can visualize it all!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Joan's Trip Report, May 2nd

Thanks for posting Joan.....reading about your adventures helps me make it through the awful rain that we've been having. 8 more sleeps.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,217 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Joan's Trip Report, May 2nd

prairiegirl...don't wait for the schedule to come out. Phone them! We booked in February and the schedule was not posted yet but they were able to take our reservation. Not all the seats are good, so the sooner the better. You can hear him wherever you sit as he has an amazing voice, but we found last October that people sitting outside were carrying on conversations while "listening". Most distracting as we were there to listen to Willie, not to visit with anyone else. Ask to be inside...much better!

fava&bean...spread some coconut smelling suntan lotion on your arms during the day and that will help. Drink mai tais and watch Lilo and Stitch! Or make a pineapple upside down cake. You will be here before you know it! And then the time will fly :o(

Shelley, Roxie will be getting her treats tomorrow afternoon. We have been on the Trilogy tour to Lanai today and just got back home, so no shopping until tomorrow.

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
754 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Joan's Trip Report, May 2nd

Thanks for the tips Joan!

Level Contributor
36,371 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Joan's Trip Report, May 2nd

Sounds like you are enjoying your vacation! It's nice you finally got to use your e-reader. I love my Kindle and take it wherever I go. :)