We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joan's Trip Report, Waihee Ridge Trail and Auntie Joan

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Joan's Trip Report, Waihee Ridge Trail and Auntie Joan

Our morning started later than we had planned this day. We got a teary phone call from one of our daughters, not very happy, and somewhat depressed. She is trying to redo her resume to apply at some lawyers' offices, needing to get out of her current job at Save-on-Foods. She graduated last June from university, after four years of criminology courses, and stuck in a rut. I cheered her up by telling her about her dad's first hangover in his life while here, and getting drunk a second night as well and his antics. It did the trick and got her mind off her own dilemma.

So we finally got started for the Waihee Ridge Trail. I found out about this hike on here, the Maui forum. And the guy was right...it is AMAZING!!! We drove the 340 highway, and found the trail head and parking lot easily...although we did drive past it initially. HINT: When you see the Mendes Ranch right in front of you, you will be going around another curve to the left (the ranch will then be on your right). The road to go up to the parking lot is IMMEDIATELY around that corner to the left. I can not stress enough how close that turn is. Turn left, and drive up and up to the parking area. There were cars there already, and more coming in after us, so you probably won't be alone on this hike. Locals were here as well as fellow tourists.

We took one hour twenty minutes to get to the very top. One hour to come down. I really didn't think we were going to make it. We were conscious of the time of course, because of having to be at the airport later, but we did make it. I promised Dave we would turn around at 11 regardless of where we were on the trail. I had just given up on reaching the top, when some people coming down encouraged me to keep going as we were so close by then. So I dug into my reserve battery, and charged forward... and was so glad we did! There is a picnic table at the top, and I pulled out the sandwiches we had made that morning. It wasn't quite 11 yet, (three minutes to), so I did eat half a sandwich. After all, we had packed that darn cooler all the way up there, so I wanted to eat something out of it!. We started back down much sooner than I wanted to, but time was running out, and we still needed to go to Costco before arriving at the airport.

On the way down the ridge, we ran into a young couple on their way up that was turning around. No, I said, you are so close now, you can see the top...it's just another 5-10 minutes. You CAN do it! She thanked me and said that is just what she needed to keep her going. Seeing all my grey hair might have been part of it too...if she can do it, then so can I!!!

Anyway, we got back to the car at just before noon. It's a fantastic walk, and yes, I would do it again. You have to stop lots though to take in the amazing views. Most of the time you have to look down to check your footing. There are areas full of tree roots, others that have rocks. And at mile .5 sign, make sure you look to the right in another five or six steps and check out the rainbow eucalyptus trees. Not the vibrant colours you get on the RTH, but still pretty, blues and greens. I saw orchids on the way up and down as well, but not as plentiful as I thought they would be. Maybe I just missed them because of watching where I was going. There are parts of the trail that you are literally on the ridge. Three feet one way and you are falling down the cliff, three feet the other way, and the same thing. I would not want to be up there on a windy afternoon!

A quick trip into Costco, grabbed more eggs, mai tai mix, margarita mix, and a beautiful lei, and then straight to the airport. Dave dropped me off in the departure area (not sure what we were thinking???), and off he went to make a circle. I walked up to the arrival area, and there she was! Standing on the curbside, already out! WAY EARLY!!! I opened the lei carton and presented her with her lei. Not the same as when you first arrive, but oh well. There was a wheel chair on the curb, so we borrowed that and I got her comfortable while we waited for Dave. He had circled again and parked in front of departures again, but he eventually figured it out and found us.

Once we got Auntie Joan settled in the condo, we opened up the margarita bottle. One drink, and she was ready to jump in the ocean. This woman is very independent, and sometimes you can't tell her anything. I went with her of course, and grabbed two noodles as we went out the door. Of course, the ocean was pretty rough by then with the winds picking up, as they do every afternoon. Getting in was easy. Getting out, that's another story!

I shall have to continue this after... Auntie Joan is in her bathing suit again, ready for another swim in the ocean!

Later...

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Joan's Trip Report, Waihee Ridge Trail and Auntie Joan

One drink and in the water, that's my kind of woman!! Have fun.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Joan's Trip Report, Waihee Ridge Trail and Auntie Joan

Thank you for your excellent tips on finding the Waihee Ridge Trail. We had wanted to do this last trip but put it on the list to do with our daughter and her BF this fall. You made it very easy to find! And to let me know what to expect along the way. Nice report!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Joan's Trip Report, Waihee Ridge Trail and Auntie Joan

Thanks Joan - that was a wonderful report of your hike, and of your Aunt's arrival :) I'm really looking forward to that hike!

Hope you have a fun week with your Aunt ... I'm sure she'll have a blast. Looking forward to more updates.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Joan's Trip Report, Waihee Ridge Trail and Auntie Joan

When we do an airport pick up we go into the parking lot and drive to the far end.

That is right in front of arrivals.

The firs 15 minutes of parking is free.

JOan you are our "silver haired" Maui ambassador. Convincing that couple to complete the hike probably created the highlight of their trip.

Well done.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Joan's Trip Report, Waihee Ridge Trail and Auntie Joan

...just to add - that was an excellent description of how to find the road to the trail ... so another thank you for that!

Here it is on google street view - if you rotate the picture to the left (using the arrows in the top left of the picture) you can see the road with the Waihee Ridge Trail sign: http://tinyurl.com/86xdao9

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Joan's Trip Report, Waihee Ridge Trail and Auntie Joan

We really liked this hike! We had planned on doing the Mahana Ridge trail as well, but it was awkward trying to plan ahead to book the shuttle ride up to the top, and it only goes three times a day... Dave wasn't real keen on driving all the way up to Kapalua again either, so this hike won the day. It gives you more flexibility in your "spur of the moment" planning too.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Joan's Trip Report, Waihee Ridge Trail and Auntie Joan

Joan, is this a hike that hiking poles would be worth using on? I'm going to bring them for our hiking on the BI, so I'll have them anyways. If anything, the extra stability on that narrow ridge of the Waihee trail might be a lifesaver :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Joan's Trip Report, Waihee Ridge Trail and Auntie Joan

Absolutely bring them. There was a couple that had a set, and another fellow actually picked up a big stick at the beginning of the trail to use on the way up. I was wishing I had seen it before we started the hike myself!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
788 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Joan's Trip Report, Waihee Ridge Trail and Auntie Joan

I gotta meet Auntie Joan! I think Chris and I will be doing the hike. I'm terrified of heights, is it a sharp drop?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Joan's Trip Report, Waihee Ridge Trail and Auntie Joan

Shelley, you would not know it was there unless you looked. There is so much vegetation there, you can't really tell, and that section isn't that long anyway. It's a fabulous hike, and Dave and I will do it again next year for sure. Go for it!