We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Maui Sunsational Savings deal

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton Maui Sunsational Savings deal

Does anyone know how these deals work, the websites are not exactly clear....

The Starwood Sunsational Savings deal offers "a free upgrade at the time of booking, subject to availability " does this mean if I book, for example a partial ocean view room, I will be upgraded to a full ocean view room? Even though the booking says partial ocean view ???? Its all very confusing.

Can anyone clarify how these deals work?

Thanks

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Maui Sunsational Savings deal

"a free upgrade at the time of booking, subject to availability "

This is the key phrase-usually, they do NOT have availability. I would suggest reserve a category of room that you can get by with and then at check in ask for an upgrade-I mean free. So, if you have a partial ocean view room they might upgrade you to a full ocean view.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Maui Sunsational Savings deal

Def reserve a view room you can live with and do not expect the upgrade. Those depend totally on when you are visiting. We've been lucky traveling during quieter times and have gotten some really nice upgrades. Some of our family have not during peek times.

If you haven't yet joined SPG, do it! It's free and may give a little edge for you.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,012 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Maui Sunsational Savings deal

The offer actually says, "Complimentary upgrade reflected at time of booking, based upon availability." ... which to me sounds like the upgrade would be provided when you book, not when you arrive. I would phone for clarification, and I would also ask about the "3rd night free". IMO it's too difficult to tell from the booking process on their website what the actual cost is going to be, and what the upgrade is.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,012 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Maui Sunsational Savings deal

...after posting above, I had another look at Sheraton's website & it does provide a breakdown of the nightly rate (for the "3rd night free" deal) ... however, check all rates, because the example that I saw (King OV) had a very inflated rate for the "3rd night free" deal - $662. / night, vs. $397. / night with an AAA discount (breakfast incl.)

Even with the 3rd night free, the "Sunsational Deal" could end up costing you more than if you choose a different discount.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 04:04
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Maui Sunsational Savings deal

Thanks for your replies.... I have sent an email off asking for clarification.

I agree that the inflated room rates do seem to negate the "free" nights, so I will see what they reply with. I did check out the other discounted rates and packages, and although the individual rates for the Sunsational Savings deal seem higher, the overall cost came out slightly less that the standard rates.

The Sunsational Savings deal also requires a deposit, where most other standard rates don't require a deposit, I'm guessing the deposit secures the upgraded room ??? Hopefully I get clarifications and I will let you all know the outcome.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Maui Sunsational Savings deal

ok, so I sent off an email to Sheraton and got a very quick response.

Although the rates seem inflated they are actually the average cost over the 3 nights, so using the King OV Sunsational Savings Rate @ $662 example you are paying $1324 for 3 nights @ $441 per night, vs the standard lowest rate $429 per night (Im not a member of AAA so that is not an option for us.). So you are not really getting any night for free.

So the extras you are getting are breakfast and a room upgrade based on availablilty , which was confirmed at the time of booking. However your booking does not show this upgrade.

So at the time I made our booking, there were ocean view rooms available (I know this because I nearly booked one !) So I assume, our room was upgraded to an ocean view room (or better) at the time I made the original booking.

Overall its not a bad deal if you want breakfast and are happy to gamble on an upgrade....We will have to wait and see when we get there !

Only 3 weeks to go !!!

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Maui Sunsational Savings deal

So someone in an e-mail told you their lowest rate is normally $429 per night?

Funny. I'm seeing Sheraton for $279 a night from June 2 to 9 on Travelocity.

I've been looking at those Starwood Third-Night "Free" deals for years and the math never adds up. They're always a rip-off.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,012 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Maui Sunsational Savings deal

Beachee - www.hotels.com has the same rate - it's for a resort view, and it's non-refundable/non-changeable, breakfast not incl....and you can't select which bedding arrangement you prefer (one king or two doubles).

The $429 mentioned above is for a King OV, breakfast incl, and upgrade if available.

Hotels.com has prices for a variety of rooms and provides full details on which type of room, cancellation policy, whether breakfast is incl. or not - all in a format that is easy to compare various room types. But it doesn't let you select the bedding arrangement (king or two doubles.)

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Maui Sunsational Savings deal

Ah. "Standard lowest rate" = standard lowest rate for that OV room.

I see now.

10. Re: Sheraton Maui Sunsational Savings deal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:42