We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Maui, need opinions on lodging

Tampa Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Maui, need opinions on lodging

Traveling to Hawaii for 20th anniversary during last week in June 2012.... Will be me, my husband and 2 teenagers (17 & 14). We have one week in Maui and one week on Oahu.

I have been doing reseach for a few weeks now and think I have it narrowed down to either Aston Kaanapali Shores or Aston Maui Kaanapali villas . I like the beach and location of the villas better but the shores has a better rating on trip advisor. Cost is comparable (6 nights including a car $1500 through costco - for each). Any opinions on which would be a better fit for my family

We are planning on staying our first night at the Kula Lodge so we can visit Haleakala at sunrise - my husband wants to avoid the 2 hour plus drive from Lahaina in the middle of the night.

Thanks

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Maui, need opinions on lodging

You would really enjoy the Villas...lovely laid back Hawaiian vibe, great beach and on-site restaurant. The free trolley runs to Whaler's Village.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,722 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Maui, need opinions on lodging

Agree that the beach at the villas is much nicer and it's an amazing spot to swim in the ocean! Being right on the beach walk is another plus - easily walkable to Black Rock and Whaler's Village.

Is the price based on comparable unit sizes for each resort?

Ocean views should better at K. Shores, but one concern at the time that you are staying, is getting a unit that faces Papakea Resort which has a project going on involving outside repair work to the buildings - one of the buildings scheduled for work in June is right beside K.Shores (next to units 2-20 in this photo) www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrkaanapalishores.html

It may or may not impact you - work hours are M-F 8-5, and possibly Saturdays.

Tampa Bay, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Maui, need opinions on lodging

Thanks for the responses so far... yes the prices are both for garden view one bedroom units.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Maui, need opinions on lodging

I also have stayed at the Villas and liked it. Couldn't get an ocean view, but we had a really nice garden unit. The grounds are low key, and the beach beautiful. And I'm a fan of the Castaway Cafe...yummy mac nut pancakes. Went there twice last trip!

5. Re: First visit to Maui, need opinions on lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 22:15