We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small hotel

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Small hotel

Hi Looking for a vacation to Hawaii in November to celebrate my 50th. It will be our first vacation without children in 15 years.

We are not usually into large hotels (we call then them 20 minutes hotels ie 20 mins to walk to beach, 20 mins to walk to dinner, 20 min to walk to pool etc. Too bad if you left something in your room.) We are looking for something a bit smaller and intimate. We would love a

good snorkling beach, kayaking, nice beach to walk on, able to walk to other restaurants on beach for lunch and dinner without being confined to hotel. Will we find somthing likes this in Hawaii or should we head to Carribean. Unfortunatley my husband will not go to Mexico!

rhode island
Level Contributor
808 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small hotel

Take a look at Kaanapali Beach Hotel in West Maui. Smaller type hotel with lots of charm and aloha spirit. Reasonably priced. 3 minute walk to Whaler's Village with lots of shops and restaurants. You can book many of your rentals right at the edge of the property at the Trilogy shack. I celebrated my 50th there last year and will be returning in November.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,616 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Small hotel

"Walk-to" would be more important in other places. Almost every visitor to Maui rents a car and buzzes around the island sightseeing, snorkeling different beaches, trying different restaurants.

You might consider some of Maui's low-rise, low-density resort condos.

This site has almost every lodging: www.wizardpub.com

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,240 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small hotel

Sounds like you are wanting Kaanapali beach or environs. KBH is a good thought, for a condo look at the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas...a little longer walk to Whaler's Village but also on the free trolley line to the Village.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
262 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small hotel

Thanks ChiSue - The Wizardpub.com is wonderful. Easily chewed up quite a few hours for me today viewing this website.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small hotel

Mexico sounds like the place.......20 min walks to restaurants (max), 5 minute walk to beach, 5 minute walk to pool. 2nd best reef to snorkel. Don't need to rent a car, because they have a great bus system and it's cheap.

My friend said the same thing about going to Mexico. However his wife won a free trip, so ........you guessed it, he went. I told him not to worry and he will change his mind about Mexico. Told him to text me with what he thought.

His text read.........." I am not coming back, one of the most beautiful places I have ever been".

Don't know what your husband is thinking, but we ride the bus / walk everywhere and have been doing it for 7 years.

More people have been killed in my home town then I have read about being killed in Cancun. All the trouble in Mexico is around the US / Mexico border.

Very safe in Cancun.

But hey you are going to Hawaii...........And that ain't bad.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,616 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Small hotel

You either like Mexico for a vacation or you don't. We tried twice a long time ago and have not returned. We almost never go to the Caribbean anymore either since 'discovering' Hawaii. We'll take longer, more expensive flights to get to Maui, a beautiful tropical island that just happens to be part of the USA -- with good water, roads and public safety.

Like Aussiegirl; I don't want to live anywhere on Maui where I have to take an elevator to get outdoors.

In case you haven't seen enough logings, try Chase n Rainbows Realty for West Maui and this site for VRBO rentals in South Maui: www.mauiownercondos.com

7. Re: Small hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 22:17