We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any experiences with chauffeured services, LLC?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Any experiences with chauffeured services, LLC?

We are considering "the Ultimate Hana Adventure" by chauffeured services, LLC. I can't seem to find many reviews, does anybody have any experience with them, or could recommend a different private Hana tour? It is a little pricey, but seems to be the only one I can find that would work. I don't want to be in a jeep for the full day (not very comfy!), hana4less is booked, and I don't want to pay any more than 299/person (less would be better!).

We will be staying in Paia for the first three nights, and were initially planning to drive the RTH, but realized that it might be a little too stressful! We really want to do a loop tour as well. Most of the bus tours don't appear to pick up in Paia, and even if we met them in Kahului, we risk the chance of being split up seating wise being the last to get on the bus. Hubby and I don't get a lot of 1:1 time together without two kids between us, so the last thing we want to do is take a full day bus tour on our vacation and be split up!

Thank you for your time!

Trilogy Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Redline Rafting Co.
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Valley Isle Excursions
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any experiences with chauffeured services, LLC?

It is not stressful at all. Drive it and take your time you will be fine. $300 per person is insane IMO. The drive is beautiful but the RTH isn't life altering. In fact I found the back side where you aren't supposed to drive the more interesting part of the journey. If you are used to driving some of the hills on the west coast then you won't find it at all intimidating. YMMV but I could find a lot more ways to spend $600 on Maui than a RTH bus tour.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any experiences with chauffeured services, LLC?

Thank you for your opinion, we are still considering all of our options, including driving ourselves.

In the grand scheme of things, nothing is truly a life changing experience, unless it's intimately meaningful to the individual, so we're not looking for a life changing experience, just a really nice, non-stressful day where we can enjoy each other's company in a beautiful environment. If it ends up being life changing, that will be a bonus, but somehow I don't see that happening!

I have already spoken to Budget at OGG, and was told that if I drive the full loop it will void my rental contract. We are renting a compact car for next to nothing, which likely won't have the best clearance. If we were to upgrade the car to an SUV, it would add quite a bit more money, plus gas costs, which we have to consider when looking at prices. We would like to do the full loop, so we can avoid some traffic on the way back, and we'd like to see a different view!

Living in BC, and doing quite a bit of off roading ourselves, we are used to driving scary roads, and used to dealing with the complication of doing such (popping tires, getting stuck, moving debris, having to turn around, etc). I am looking for a relaxing holiday, where my husband (the main driver), can enjoy all the sights as well, not have to listen to me nag him about watching the edge of the road (he just lost a colleague who was being careless on a logging road, going a little too fast, and let his back tire drift a little too close to the edge of the road which gave out, and that was it). From the sounds of it, the "bad" section isn't even close to as bad as what we are used to, but it is still not fun doing when you know that you are up a creek if you damage the vehicle.

$600 (plus tax and tip) is definitely a lot of money, and of course we would like to pay less, but it would be an option of continuing a relaxing and enjoyable vacation. We have budgeted in many other ways, so it's not like it's going to blow the bank.

Lots of things to consider! Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,026 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any experiences with chauffeured services, LLC?

Just to comment on dada's comment that "$300 pp is insane" - when you look at what this tour includes- a private tour for 2 for 9 hours, doing the whole loop, food and beverages included .... it actually seems quite reasonable. Yes....more expensive than a group tour, but there's a lot of appeal in doing a private tour! JM - I hope you get some feedback on this from someone who has used the company.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any experiences with chauffeured services, LLC?

You might give this a look http://mauijeeptours.com/ "prettykitties" did this tour a month or so ago. You may want to contact her by PM...just put her name into the search box above.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any experiences with chauffeured services, LLC?

I "spoke" with prettykitties about the tour, it sounds like it was a wonderful tour, it's just my husband is quite tall, and the idea of spending a full day in a small jeep with stiff suspension (especially in the backseat with me!) is not his idea of a vacation! If I were going with a couple girlfriends I could see myself doing it, but I wouldn't want hubby being uncomfortable! Thank you though!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
170 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any experiences with chauffeured services, LLC?

JacquelynMary - Have you checked Temptation Tours or Valley Isle? I've used both - they have very nice vans (8-10 people) with really comfortable seats. Earlier this year when I used Temptation, there were only 5 of us & the driver. Dianne

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any experiences with chauffeured services, LLC?

I really wanted to do Valley Isle, they seem to have great reviews, but I would have to drive to meet them at a central location because I am going to be staying in Paia, and likely would be the last one to get on, not guaranteeing seats beside hubby! they have two single seats on their vans. If I was coming from West maui I definitely would use them! I really want to do the full loop, so temptation is out. Thank you so much for the suggestions though!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any experiences with chauffeured services, LLC?

We took this tour and dont regret 1 penny of it. We had the best time. Drive was fantastic. Road in comfort and luxury of a spacious brand new luxury SUV. Both of us got to see everything and enjoy it. I put in a review today under the attraction of Road to Hana. It is waiting for approval from TripAdvior. But when it does post you should take a look at it.

In brief, we got picked up at our door step in Lahaina in a brand new spacious luxury SUV. When you open the doors a running board pops down to help you in and out of the car.

We stopped for pastries and coffee for breakfast where our driver waited on us hand and foot and got everything for us (this was included in the price).

We had cold bottled water the whole way (included in the price).

We stopped at a farm and got applebananas (included in the price).

We stopped and had lunch at the Hana Hotel Resturant that was quite fancy. Consisted of a appetizer or dessert and main dish and non alcoholic beverage. Food portions were big. Neither of us could finish. (included in the price except alcohol and it was $45 for 4 glasses of wine without tip).

We stopped and got hot fresh banana bread which she cut and plated for us(included in the price).

We stopped at got the famous Hana coconut candy - not included in the price.

She knew where all of the clean bathrooms were along the way and hand sanitizer just in case.

She stopped so we could take pictures of things and she took pictures of us.

We stopped at all the things we wanted to. She knew all the popular spots and she also knew we were on a time schedule and that you can't see everything in one day so she kept us moving.

We got to swim in the fresh water cave.

She knew somebody everywhere we stopped since she was a local herself. She said she had driven the road more then 1000 times.

She explained things and pointed out things the whole way and had a music CD that was themed to go with the places we were passing through.

On the way back we hit traffic and the SUV had DVD player and a TV built in so she had a DVD on surfing in Hawaii that she put in for us to watch to help pass the time in traffic on the way back to our hotel.

We did consider doing the Valley Isle and Temptation because they were only $129 VS $300(without tip), but we decided we wanted to do it private on our own so we could stop when ever we felt like and didn't have to listed to somebody else's kids orr wait 10 or 15 minutes for the people who should have been back at the bus but decided to wander off on their own with no regaurd for the people on the tour with them and their time, and so we could relax and enjoy each other on such a beautiful trip.

I highly recommend this tour company if you have the money for it. Sarah was our driver and if we did it again we would request her in a heartbeat.

9. Re: Any experiences with chauffeured services, LLC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:42