We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good hikes for young kids?

Canadian Rockies...
Level Contributor
633 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Good hikes for young kids?

I'd love to take my kids (4 &6) on a hike where they will experience lush rain forest and maybe see ( not swim in!) a waterfall. I don't think we're going to do the road to Hana, it sounds like it would be a bit too much for them . Does an easy trail like this exist? Everything I've come across is either on the RTH ( if it was earlier on the road in might be ok) or is rocks on lava on the shoreline ( we'll try that too!).

Thanks!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good hikes for young kids?

There are parts of the golf course trails at Kapalua that are relatively easy. I think there are some entrance gates on the main road that will get you access, rather than starting at the clubhouse/activity center. No waterfalls but lots of trees. The trail is old golf cart pavement. Bottom areas are much flatter.

The Coastal Trail has some flat, more sandy sections but it's on the beach, not the forest.

Iao Valley from the parking lot/visitor center is in the trees above the river. We took our daughter walking there when she was about 7. Not sure of the setup there as it's been a while since we hit that side. Doesn't really matter, honestly, because at that age, the kids aren't going very far and in our daughter's case, she got distracted by rocks on the road within 3 minutes! So we basically went nowhere!

Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good hikes for young kids?

Twin Falls along the Road to Hana should be doable. We did it with our 3 and 5 year old boys, but we did not go swimming here. The only part you won't be able to take the kids is the very last part where you have to cross an old concrete duct and wade through the stream. For that part, you and your spouse can take turns so you get to see the end of the trail. Also, keep them close to you - there are some parts where if they wander off they could have a nasty fall etc.

Also, the Pipiwai Trail could be fun... depending on the stamina of your kids, you may not be able to do the entire trail, but I know when we did it, we saw several families with very young kids - what troopers!! This is another trail where you'd need to keep your kids very close to you, and not let them run ahead or off trail - again, some areas where they could get hurt or worse if they wander off the trail in a bad spot.

To make it less stressful scheduling-wise, bank on the trail taking much longer than it would with adults only - Twin Falls took us probably twice as long as we would have needed without our little ones along - it was early in our trip and they weren't acclimated to the heat yet! But we made it fun, took out time, and played along with them that we were explorers, brought snacks and water etc.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good hikes for young kids?

Oh yeah, forgot about Twin Falls. We did that one with Hilly when she was pretty young. We did go to the end beyond the flume, didn't swim there, but did stop at a pool closer to the highway. Had to hike down a small slope to get to it. The bugs ended up overwhelming us so we bailed for the car.

4. Re: Good hikes for young kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:42