We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which days less crowded in Lahaina?

Pasco, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which days less crowded in Lahaina?

My 9 yo son and I will be on Maui in June. We are staying in North Kihei. I've heard that Lahaina is very busy and parking is crazy. I'm thinking week days are probably less crowded than weekends. Does it matter?

Although we have a rental car, I've been dabbling with the idea of taking the bus from Kihei to Lahaina. That way we don't need to worry about parking. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,645 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which days less crowded in Lahaina?

Worst days are when a cruise ship is in port.

We have never had a problem finding parking. May not be right where you want to be but there is spots available. You might not find free parking all the time but even if you have to pay it is not all that much.

Pasco, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which days less crowded in Lahaina?

So far, I've only found one cruise ship - NCL that stops in Kahului on a Sunday and Monday.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which days less crowded in Lahaina?

If you get there early enough, there will be lots of parking available. There is a huge lot south of the big Banyan Tree, and you can stay there for three hours. We couldn't find a spot there at all earlier this month, but we got there in the early afternoon, and there were half a dozen cars just sitting waiting for someone to leave. We made it a bit easier for them and left ourselves! Early is better!

You can pay 12.00 for the whole day in other parking lots around the town.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which days less crowded in Lahaina?

The lot near the banyan tree is at Front and Prison St.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
625 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which days less crowded in Lahaina?

There is a lot on Wainee Street across from the Cemetery next to the Catholic Church (corner of Dickenson and Wainee) that has an all day special for $5 but you have to leave by 5 or 6, its $6 from 6 pm on. There were always spaces available. If you get into town early enough, there is lots of free parking.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which days less crowded in Lahaina?

The real key is to get into town early, say by 9:30 or so. There are tons of paid parking lots and, as mentioned, a few free ones. I would rather pay for parking and be close to Front St. but that's just me.

Going early also means that you can get most of your touring done before the cruise ships, should there be any in Lahaina, unload. The tenders start from the ship at 8am but most of those folks are scurrying for excursions outside of Lahaina. It takes a good long time to get everyone else off the boat.

I also have to add that grabbing a Ululani's Shave Ice and people watching on cruises days can be a treat all it's own!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which days less crowded in Lahaina?

Parking is not that bad in Lahaina. I don't think you need to stress over this.

You might not be able to find free parking exactly where you like it, but you can alway find parking in one of the smaller streets behind front street, or paid parking (and it is fairly inexpensive).

We visit Maui during high season often, and never had problem finding parking in Lahaina, since we don't mind parking a block or two away. I don't think it makes a difference if you go during weekday or weekend.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,122 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which days less crowded in Lahaina?

It's not so much which day as it is time of day. As others have stated, mornings are by far the best for finding easy parking, avoiding crowds, and getting in and out before it gets too hot.

What works for us, coming from So. Maui, is arriving Lahaina about 8:30 am. We park at the 3 hour free lot on Front Street, just south of the Banyan tree and stroll over to Pioneer Inn for breakfast. Fun to watch the ferries and tourist boats in the harbor. By the time we are done the stores and museums are just opening up.

For several years I avoided Lahaina. Thanks to a recommendation on TA boards, I tried the early/Pioneer Inn option. Now it is a routine every trip.

I like it on Sunday where there is usually a craft fair (and cruise ship) in town.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which days less crowded in Lahaina?

Compared to other ocean-front fun tourist towns in Hawaii; Waikiki, and even Kailua-Kona, parking in Lahaina is a breeze. On our last few visits, we've even found parking on Front Street, but this parking map might come in handy:

www.bestofmauiguide.com/LahainaMap.html

I think your son would enjoy the eats at either Bubba Gumps or Cheeseburger in Paradise. Also, we took our twin 10 year old grandson's to Ulalena a couple of years ago & they really enjoyed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tdLjZS34d4

They especially liked this song, downloaded it and played through the car speakers during a long drive just a couple of weeks ago when we all needed a boost:

www.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 19 May 2012, 14:38
Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which days less crowded in Lahaina?

Early is the key. Get there at 9-10am, tour the restaurants you want to eat at, and they usually open at 11am. Crowd will be less, servers friendly since they just came on shift, food will come out fast.