We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Revealed book or iPhone app?

California
Level Contributor
449 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Revealed book or iPhone app?

Has anyone used the iPhone app? How ate the maps, snorkel information?

It's $5.99 for the app versus $13 plus shipping for the book. (I have used the book before, I checked it out of the library), and I liked it, but if the app is better and cheaper, it's one less thing to lug around.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
839 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Revealed book or iPhone app?

I have both the book and the iPhone app. I read the book cover-to-cover, along with another guide book, and I liked that for getting a lay of the land, so to speak.

Now that I've already read the book, I'm relying more on the iPhone app because it's easy to search for things on it. If I'm plugging along and I read about a certain restaurant, I can find it in several different ways on the app. I like that when I do go to Hawaii, there is a "locate me" function on the app so that it will find where I am and tell me what's nearby. You can also save things to Favorites.

I think what you did is perfect. Check the guidebook out of the library and then buy the app because it's easier to carry with you.

I've been impressed by both the book and app. But, it's also just one piece of my research. I use this site, Frommers, Yelp, and any other resources that I can find. I've got to do something with my time, we don't leave for another 302 days. :(

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Revealed book or iPhone app?

Oh my goodness! :(

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Revealed book or iPhone app?

Uh oh.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,455 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Revealed book or iPhone app?

let the show begin................

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Revealed book or iPhone app?

Got the popcorn ready.......

California
Level Contributor
449 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Revealed book or iPhone app?

I'm sorry, am I not allowed to mention this book? I understand the controversy surrounding it. I am not a complete clueless/rude tourist, I mostly want to use this book for the maps, mile marker information and other info regarding the sites.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,073 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Revealed book or iPhone app?

Yes, you are allowed to mention this book... it just isn't that popular on Maui. From what I gather on these forums, the Oahu book and even the Kauai version isn't nearly as bad as the one for Maui. Hopefully, the newer edition has been "improved". He has sent a lot of ignorant tourists on to private property, and also to some VERY dangerous places, where, sad but true, people have been killed. At least the one version I read (left at a condo), now warns about the dangers at some of these sites. He never did before in the earlier editions. It is sometimes referred to as "Maui Reviled". Some people love it, others despise it. To each their own. But as guests to the Hawaiian Islands, I like to think that people would show respect for the people there. Trespassing when the sign clearly says kapu, but you go anyway with blue book in hand, just isn't right.

Okay, now that I have typed all that, I just re-read your last post, and you "understand the controversy surrounding it". Oh well, it is here now for anyone who doesn't know some of the history, and the reason for the other comments. There is also the fact that he hardly spent anytime on Maui actually researching the places.

So yes, go ahead and use the book. I hear it is great for the restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
65,455 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Revealed book or iPhone app?

Aloha,

Okay, I will dip my foot in the pool.

Yes, the book is Reviled here for many reasons.

No, you aren't barred from mentioning it.

If you understand the controversy about it, then I encourage you to be VERY careful relying on it for info on sites, ownership, accessibility, or other issues.

We have had a huge--and I do mean HUGE--number of "clueless/rude tourist(s)" here lately.

Please respect our laws, customs, and practice aloha. In return, you will receive aloha.

California
Level Contributor
449 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Revealed book or iPhone app?

I can't speak for other people, but I have never and would never trespass on private property just because it's written in a book. It's too bad people do this, but this means I am not supposed to use the information in this book? :(

I used the Revealed book last time I was on Maui and it directed me to some nice snorkeling sites. I also used it the Kauai edition on Kauai and it was a great help.

I understand that residents are not fans of the book (I am a resident in a tourist destination myself, I know how that can be), but I see no reason to make snarky comments to me just because I'm asking about an iPhone app. :( I am not speaking to the first poster or most recent poster, but those comments in between. I just find it very off-putting and lacking in the aloha spirit that drives us all to the islands of Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,426 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Revealed book or iPhone app?

Here we go again for how many times? <sigh>