We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamoa Beach named in top 5 by Dr. Beach for 2012

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
419 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hamoa Beach named in top 5 by Dr. Beach for 2012

http://www.drbeach.org/5.html

Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii. This pocket beach is rimmed by cliffs, covered by coconut palm trees and beautiful flowering vegetation. This crescent beach, which is a mixture of coral and lava sand, is the most famous of Maui’s Hana beaches. The beach is actually inside a breached volcanic crater. To get to Hamoa Beach, one has to take the “Road to Hana”, the treacherous road with drop-offs of over 1,000 feet and sporadic guardrails, which can be an adventure in itself! Taking it slow on this road, with over 50 one-way bridges, is probably the safest bet. Ernest Hemmingway once said that Hamoa Beach was the world’s best beach.

42 days and I'll be in Maui. Then I can make that magical drive to Hana :)

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,214 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hamoa Beach named in top 5 by Dr. Beach for 2012

Everything you say is true, one very fun beach. Hubie

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hamoa Beach named in top 5 by Dr. Beach for 2012

Taking the RTH tour with Valley Isle today!

Maybe we will get to see it :-)

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hamoa Beach named in top 5 by Dr. Beach for 2012

We'll be checking it out in September....:)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,627 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hamoa Beach named in top 5 by Dr. Beach for 2012

I'm so jealous, Hamoa is the best beach on Maui, IMHO!! I've done the Hana Hwy more times than I can count and never tire of this beach.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
733 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hamoa Beach named in top 5 by Dr. Beach for 2012

How accessible is Hamoa? I have two total knee replacements and have difficulty with steep descents and climbs.

Thanks!

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hamoa Beach named in top 5 by Dr. Beach for 2012

The access to Hamoa is currently closed as they are replacing the bridge. We were just there on Monday(5/21) and the rebar was nearly complete. It may be two weeks or longer before it is open. We were able to visit Coki beach though.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,112 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hamoa Beach named in top 5 by Dr. Beach for 2012

Are there not two ways into Hamoa??? Maybe I have the wrong bridge in mind. We just drove it earlier this month.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hamoa Beach named in top 5 by Dr. Beach for 2012

Hemmingway wrote something to this effect... "Paradoxically, the only beach that I have ever seen that looks like the South Pacific was in the North Pacific- Hamoa Beach... A beach so perfectly formed that I wonder at its comparative obscurity".

These words are most certainly true.

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hamoa Beach named in top 5 by Dr. Beach for 2012

Are there not two ways into Hamoa??? Maybe I have the wrong bridge in mind. We just drove it earlier this month.

You are right it looks like the road loops around back to Hana Hwy. I never saw another sign/ access for Hamoa beach . But looks like it is about a mile further south.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hamoa Beach named in top 5 by Dr. Beach for 2012

Homoa is an amazing beach and worth every one of those twisting curves in the road and one way bridges.