We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental question - should I buy their insurance?

california
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rental question - should I buy their insurance?

Hi, We will be renting a car for 4 days in Maui. I am sure once I get to the counter that they will do their sales pitch to buy their insurance. In the past, I would say no to it since We have our own car insurance policy but the way they word it makes me feel like with the extra cost of the insurance, I don't have to worry . Thanks a lot.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,964 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental question - should I buy their insurance?

Take a copy of your insurance card with you and just say NO! Also say no to the prepaid gas option and the convertible Caddilac that parks itself...read carefully what you are initialing.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental question - should I buy their insurance?

And check with your credit card company as well for extra coverage often included in "Gold" cards.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,898 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental question - should I buy their insurance?

Check with your insurance agent about the coverage on rentals that your regular policy gives you. then check with your credit card company to see if they cover extra rental car insurance that your regular policy may not cover. then make your choice.

We are covered. We don't by extra insurance.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,962 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental question - should I buy their insurance?

Ensure that your existing insurance has the following coverages:

*Collision/ Damage ( Covers repair/replacement of your vehicle)

*Loss of Use (Covers the fee the rental car company can charge you because your damaged vehicle is not able to be rented and they therefore are out revenue)

*3 rd party Liability ( THE most important coverage...can run into the Million$$ and is not usually covered on most credit card insurance) If you are at fault and there is a fatality/and or substantial injuries...the costs are sky high.We carry $5 Million 3rd party.

* Cost of renting another vehicle to replace the damaged one.

The coverages offered at the counter are comprehensive however extremely pricey and generally not the best way to go.

If you do not have the coverage already in place through either your Hometown vehicle..then a private policy purchase in your home state will often be cheaper than the rental car agency's rate.

When it's all said and done.....most rentals result in not having to utilize one's Insurance....so most folks don't have first hand experience with the nuances of a claim. The claim can range from some small bumper damages to a total write-off of the vehicle.

Most folks pride themselves on being a good driver ...but accidents occur. Folks go through red lights...are inattentive and can careen into you causing Mega damage.You want to make sure you are covered for the unlikely event of a "worst case " scenario.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental question - should I buy their insurance?

I am in the minority and go against all advice by purchasing the collision damage waiver. I don't want to have to argue about any little dings and scrapes that I might overlook during an initial inspection. Yes, we are good drivers...but driving an unfamiliar vehicle on unfamiliar roads increases the chance of an accident. In Hawaii most parking spaces are small. Problems happen in hotel or condo parking lots. We've had people back into us, and others open car doors that hit our vehicle. They are usually also tourists driving unfamiliar cars! Car windows get smashed in break-ins.

Credit card coverage is almost always secondary to a person's own auto insurance. I don't want to risk a claim that might raise our rates, or file credit card company claims to cover our high deductible.

That said, the fact that my trips are usually 5-7 days makes a huge difference. If I was staying for 2 or 3 weeks (or months) I might make different decisions.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,064 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental question - should I buy their insurance?

Rental company insurance is outrageously expensive, and it's probably unnecessary. Do check with your agent and credit card.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
549 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental question - should I buy their insurance?

There is a great article here on TA about car rental:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29220-c170868/Maui:H…

Sally

California
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental question - should I buy their insurance?

I'm another no, I have total full coverage in California so I just bring a copy of my policy with me in case something happens. Although they would like you to think that you have to pay for damages before you leave the island I would just drop off the car and let my insurance company worry about it. Most of us pay thousands of dollars a year for insurance so why pay more when we don't have to. They love taking advantage of us tourists.

california
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental question - should I buy their insurance?

Thanks. I checked with my car insurance and with my policy, it does provide the rental coverage.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental question - should I buy their insurance?

Just make sure it covers the "loss of use". Your regular policy will cover the damage but usually not the loss of use. But most will offer a rider on your policy, (I think State Farm charges us $14/mo) to cover that. For what the car rental places charge it would take care of a years worth of that rider plus. And I believe you can cancel it a month or so after you return. You will also find the credit cards also only cover the damage not the loss of use and believe me they will go after you and the daily charge will not be the "Costco" rate but the highest posted rate they have for the car.