We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How cold is Haleakala?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How cold is Haleakala?

My dh and two teenage sons will be in Maui in two weeks. I am thinking about driving up Haleakala during the day rather than at sunrise or sunset. However, I know that at any point in the day, it will be cold. The question is how cold? I really don't want to pack pants, coats, gloves or hats for this trip. I don't mind taking blankets from our condo. Will that be enough? Any advice from those that have done it in the middle of the day? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How cold is Haleakala?

Going to Haleakala in the middle of the day is not that cold. No need for coats, gloves.

We usually go wearing shorts, t-shirts, and bring a light windbreaker type of jacket. We also bring a few beach towels along, in case it is colder, then we used the beach towels to wrap around the kids. Plus the beach towels are useful when we go to the beach after Haleakala.

Mentioned in this post
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,859 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How cold is Haleakala?

Mid day we were fine in shorts and a sweatshirt or jacket...we always wear jackets on the plane anyway because it's cold in those flying tin-cans!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,041 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How cold is Haleakala?

Highs this time of year on Maui are about 85.

Rule of thumb is 3 degrees less for every 1000 feet.

Haleakala is 10,000 feet.

So it will be about 30 degrees colder at the top, so about 55 for the high.

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,945 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How cold is Haleakala?

I think you will be fine given that you are from Chicago. It is the wind that can make it cold up there.

Just make sure if you go for any walks down into the crater, that you allow twice as long to walk back out. That is, if you walk a half hour down, it will take one hour to walk back out. And take WATER!!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,337 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How cold is Haleakala?

i was dressed in shorts and a tank top in may..i was cold..so i wrapped the beach towel around me and bought a long sleeved tshirt at the top... don't worry too much, hawaiian time..

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How cold is Haleakala?

Someone here suggested just garbing the comforter/blanket from you beds and toss them in the trunk in case you need them...and you probably will.

Maybe not a fashion statement, but it seemed like good advise to me.

Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How cold is Haleakala?

How long does it take to get to the crater from Marriott maui Ocean Club?

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How cold is Haleakala?

JAH........I know that at any point in the day, it will be cold. The question is how cold?

We went during the middle of the day. Light jacket will do. It will be about 25 degrees colder than the mainland.

AbbaTexas.........How long does it take to get to the crater from Marriott maui Ocean Club?

Right at 3 hours.

9. Re: How cold is Haleakala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 May 2012, 11:50
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,142 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How cold is Haleakala?

This is a good site to check the forecast for Haleakala summit (and other areas on Maui): www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/maui.php…

Abba Texas - the drive itself takes about 2 hours. If you stop to admire the scenery along the way, and stop at the first visitor's centre (there's a visitor's centre at the Park Headquarters at 7000 ft, and a summit Visitor's Centre as well), add about 45 minutes to the trip on the way up ... but 2 hours to get back to Kaanapali with no stops.. Map: http://tinyurl.com/7luyfsg

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,444 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii