We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not sure where to start???

Austell, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Not sure where to start???

The forums are great, so i know to read, read, read. But getting confused. I have a chance to go to Maui, Kahului, and or Wailea. So when i search it will not help. To many names??? So if someone can tell me how to start, names, or what should I be looking for???? Airport is OGG? Around 1st week Dec., I need to stay at airport hotel a nite (what name, search?) Which forum is best for me?? Thanks you guys for the help. And yes i will read!!! Just need to know where to start. Keep up the good work!!

Mentioned in this post
Maui Beach Hotel
Maui Beach Hotel
597 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not sure where to start???

Hi

Maui Forum

One night near the airport would be looking at the brand new Marriott Courtyard for accomodation.

Wailea is an upscale tourist area . Nice dry area with good beaches

Wailuku is the head quarters for government buildings and residential.

No beach

Airport code for the jet airport is OGG and it is in the town of kahului.

December is part of our winter. We have very little variation of the seasons.

But i would recommend staying in the dryer areas unless you enjoy the

damp rain forest affect.

If you find a flight you like then check with that airline if they have any package deals for a flight, car and acomodation.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Wailuku
Wailuku
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,947 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not sure where to start???

Are Kahului and Wailea your only choices? If so then search Wailea. There are many other places to stay on Maui and all are an easy drive from the airport so really no need to stay by the airport.

Are you looking for a hotel or condo?

Mentioned in this post
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,311 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Not sure where to start???

Early December is 'bargain season' on Maui -- between the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday visitors.

Stay south in December. The weather should be better, and the ocean calmer. Wailea or South Kihei would be good then.

Why do you need an airport-area hotel the first night? Are you joining others on Maui? It is a 25-minute drive from the airport (OGG in Kahului) to Wailea -- all on easy 4-lane highway.

Most people rent a car for airport pickup and drop. There is little public transportation, and taxi fares are very high. There is a shuttle within Wailea.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
514 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not sure where to start???

there is a new Marriott Courtyard hotel near the airport (across the road from Costco) if you need that. Otherwise, try the Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei - nice beach across the road. Don't stay in Kahului - it is not a tourist area, no good beaches etc. Kihei, Wailea, or West Maui (Lahaina/Kanaapali) is where most tourists go.

Early December is a great time to come to Maui. It is still slow, tourists really start coming mid-December (and all the prices go up).

Enjoy your holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Maui Coast Hotel
Maui Coast Hotel
2,212 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Austell, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Not sure where to start???

Thanks everyone for the help. It is a group trip, and we will be arriving a day early for our shuttle pick up and hotel. Need a place close, so we can go back to the airport to meet up with the rest of the groups, then off to the Wailea hotel????

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
6. Re: Not sure where to start???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 16:41