We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Snorkel trip for honeymooners?

3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Snorkel trip for honeymooners?

We are two honeymooner wanting to snorkel but where and with whom do we go with? I have near zero swimming experience but my wife can swim just find. How can you resist something called "turtle town"? I think that is where we want to go. You all's thoughts? thanks!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Snorkel trip for honeymooners?

Where are you staying? Do you want a small, fast boat like BlueWater Rafting or a more relaxed experience on a catamaran like one of the Trilogy trips? A little more info would help us.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,405 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Snorkel trip for honeymooners?

There are half day trips, full day trips. They leave from Kihei boat ramp, and in Lahaina at the harbour, at Mala wharf behind Cannery Mall, and some leave from Maalaea, so where you are staying might influence which company you want to use.

Do not worry about the "zero swimming experience". The crew on all these tours are fantastic, and they will take care of you. My husband booked a snorkel trip last October, being a non swimmer. He had no intention of snorkeling, just wanted to see the scenery. Well, they got him in the water, at three different locations, and he was in the water longer than I was! We were just in Maui again last month, and he bought himself a snorkel and mask set while there... and he still doesn't swim!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Snorkel trip for honeymooners?

With zero swimming experience you do want to stay away from the fast moving rafts. A larger catamaran would be best for you. To get to "turtle town" you will have to take a boat that leaves from south Maui. Most of them leave from Maalaea Harbor. Most of them go to Molokini and then add "turtle town" on the way back to the harbor.

Trilogy, which is considered the top snorkel company on the island does have a Molokini tour. You will be well taken care of.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Snorkel trip for honeymooners?

Go on a tour. Many pick Trilogy because of reputation. We picked Four Winds from the ad in the Drive Guide and had a great trip. Go on the morning trip to Molokini, either company leaves from Maalaea. Winds are calm in the morning. It's the afternoon shore tour that leaves from the Kaanapali beach on Trilogy. Maalaea is located about 45 minutes from Kaanapali

The reason a non swimmer can get in the water, is because you can rent the wet suit for $5, that will make you float. Plus you'll have a life jacket on. It's very hard to go under water and stay there. Or they'll give you a surf board to lay on, and look in the water with a mask.

If you wanted to get ready at home, visit a sporting goods store, buy a mask, snorkel, visit a public pool, and see if you can paddle around in the shallow end. If you learn to swim, then you and the wife could visit Black Rock on your own and see turtles. They come right up to the shore line along the rocks. You could wade into the water, put your head in, and see them.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Snorkel trip for honeymooners?

Thanks everyone for your responses! We are just north of Lahaina but I don't mind driving. Now, I hope I can get a reservation on a boat this weekend.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,405 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Snorkel trip for honeymooners?

My husband didn't rent a wet suit. He just had the life "belt". This last trip, just last month, I sent him out snorkeling with a noodle. At least then you can rest on it if you need to adjust the mask, without stepping on the coral! A boogie board would be an advantage too, if you didn't have a noodle.

Trilogy has lots of tours to pick from. They don't just leave from Ka'anapali and Maalaea. We used them for the trip to Lanai last month, and they left from Lahaina Harbour. There are tons of choices, and when you land at the airport, you can grab some of the pamphlets there to help you decide. Some of them will give you a discount if you book online.

Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Snorkel trip for honeymooners?

I HIGHLY recommend Trilogy!! We went on the all day trip Lania and it was awesome. They required all snorkelers to wear some sort of floatation device even if you were a good swimmer. I liked this about them they had crew in water with you at all times. If you had never been before they have a crew member with you until you felt comfortable. Plus the food and service was awesome. well worth the price!!!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Snorkel trip for honeymooners?

Teralani, Trilogy and Gemini all offer snorkel cruises from Kaanapali beach great boats and all will be helpfull.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Snorkel trip for honeymooners?

The op asked about going to "turtle town. As far as I know, none of the boats that leave from the west side go to "turtle town." The only tours that I know of that go to "turtle town" also include Molokini.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Snorkel trip for honeymooners?

Well aware of that fuzz...just offering closer options! There are turtles in other areas too!