We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haleakala on departure day?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Haleakala on departure day?

We leave in four days. Still tweaking my itinerary. I was wondering if we could do Haleakala on our departure day? Would we have enough time (leaving from Honua Kai) to drive to the summit (not do the crater trail), eat lunch in Paia (maybe Charley's) and get to the airport for a 4:30 pm flight? Is that pushing it? Thanks.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haleakala on departure day?

Not pushing it at all. If you want a spot at the very top, you have to be there by 5am. That means waking up at 2am, checking out of your room, and driving.

We did it the opposite way, went to the summit when we arrived, straight from the airport after stopping at Whole Foods. But for some reason, not many people do this. It worked out great for us. We got some food, "rested" in the car for a few hours, then drove to the 7k foot bathroom area. We stayed there until 4am then drove to the very top getting a spot.

Saw the sunrise, went to Charlies for breakfast, and did the RTH, all in the same morning.

http://www.nogodforme.com/MauiHawaii2011.htm

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haleakala on departure day?

Agree that it's not pushing it. You'll need to allow about 4 hours in total for your driving time (just over 2 hours to the summit, 1.5 hours to Paia and 15 minutes to the airport). Going at sunrise would leave lots of time to fill in - so if you prefer to go later, you just need to calculate how much time you'll want to spend at the summit and how long you think lunch will take and add a bit of leeway time... so perhaps an 8 or 8:30 departure from your condo.

The one concern would be an accident that holds you up when you're trying to come down. Also, leaving it to the last day means that you might have to come up with 'plan b' if it's clouded in, whereas if you go earlier in your vacation, you can pick a day based on a good weather forecast.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
378 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haleakala on departure day?

I agree with robvia that I've done it when I arrive in the past. It works out since I haven't adjusted to the time change yet so I wake up early anyway.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,962 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haleakala on departure day?

Are you talking about getting up to Haleakala for the sunrise??? Or just to go there for the views whenever you are ready to leave your condo? Either way, I agree, yes, it is a good plan. My only concern would be my ears! They would not like going up to 10,000 feet, back down to sea level, and then having a flight in the same day. I have a bad ear though...

And if you are in Paia and still have time to kill, you can always drive out to Hookipa Beach and check out the wind surfers.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Haleakala on departure day?

No, it would not be a sunrise visit. We would try to leave around 8:00 or 8:30. We will probably just play it by ear. I definitely want to visit Paia and Hookipa Beach so I want to make sure we have enough time for that too.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haleakala on departure day?

I like your plan. Why not leave one of the best activities on the island for the last day? That "it's over" last day feeling would be mitigated imo.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Haleakala on departure day?

We look at Haleakala as a big day. Something to be savored, like great food. Not into fine dining on the last day either. The last thing we want to do is get on a plane after a big adventure day like Haleakala or a big meal. High altitude flatulence happens :)

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haleakala on departure day?

Isn't there the luggage issue like on the RTH?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,962 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Haleakala on departure day?

Yes, always, that last day can be a bummer... we can't all get the early morning flights, and so we have to plan accordingly. It isn't always easy either... especially with all those souvenirs you bought, and for us, cheap cheap liquor! And that material at the quilt shop, and all the chocolates and cookies!

The year we brought our three kids with us, we couldn't fit all our luggage in the trunk for the return trip. Check out time wasn't until 12 noon at our condo, and we left at 5 minutes to! The cleaners were knocking on the door! And when we visited Iao Needle, I actually stayed in the car and my husband took the three kids for a walk around. I had been there before, so I didn't mind in the least. Our flight didn't leave until 10:45 at night. And when we had dinner at Denny's before going to the airport, we parked the car by the window, and managed to get a table right in front of it. I don't recommend Denny's EVER, but it did the trick for us that day.

I was never so happy this last trip last month, to drive to Seattle to arrive in the day light, and to leave in the afternoon.

PHP
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haleakala on departure day?

Police have told us to not leave luggage in our car - anywhere.

$18,000 in jewelry and clothes were taken just last week while someone stopped at a gas station to relieve themselves.

When we were switching hotels, Our first one allowed us to leave our luggage with them and we saw them lock it up in the Bell room.

We didn't exercise this option on our departure day but we did maintain a watch on our vehicle at all times because the airport would not let us check it in until 5:45PM, another thing to keep in mind.