We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early Molokini snorkel?

Greenville, South...
5 posts
Save Topic
Early Molokini snorkel?

My husband and I and his family will be on Maui in June. We want to go to Molokini, but we only have 4 days and I am not a fan of huge crowds of people. I found the Kai Kanani Molokini express tour that leaves at 6:30. It seemed perfect--conditions are best early anyway, and you beat the crowds at half the price. Plus you're back by 9 am and still have the whole day. However, I read a lot of stuff about Kai Kanani's damage to the reef that makes me not want to support them. Is there any other operator that does a trip like this?

Redline Rafting Co.
Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Blue Water Maui
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Trilogy Excursions
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,359 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early Molokini snorkel?

LOTS of companies going to Molokini in the mornings. Where are you staying? That might help in deciding which company to use. They leave from Kihei Boat Ramp, and lots more from Maalaea Harbour. The PWF has big boats, but I have read on these forums that they have smaller boats too, so they may be worth a look.

When you land at the airport, there will be lots of pamphlets advertising Molokini and snorkeling as well. Or just start using the links on the left and right side of this page too, and you will find all sorts of information, and for more than just snorkeling!

Have a wonderful holiday!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early Molokini snorkel?

I commend you for checking out the Kai Kanani. It has cleaned up it's act quite a bit but the last person who went that posted here on TA was still less than impressed. You won't find any other catamarans that will leave from a place as close to Molokini as the Kai Kanani. That is the biggest reason they get out there earlier than the other companies.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early Molokini snorkel?

Hmmm. Tour seems rushed, even if they are leaving closer to Molokini than the others. Normally it takes 1 hour to get to Molokini, then you get 2 hours to snorkel, then 1 hour on the way back.

Believe it or not, the journey there and back is the best part of the trip. Why? Because you "feel" like you own the boat. The crew goes out of their way to make you happy. Of coarse this is to get a tip at the end, which is fine with me. You give it to the captain as you get off the boat.

On the way back from Molokini, the captain will pull up on a pod of dolphins and turtles. The dolphins will jump out of the water, they are called Spinner dolphins, and it's very entertaining to watch. People snap pictures and take videos.

The drive guide will give you all the tour companies, then you can look them up on TA and google reviews.

Four Winds II worked for us. Many others recommend Trilogy on reputation. Scroll down the page to see pictures.

4. Re: Early Molokini snorkel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:40