We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Maui?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Maui?

I am taking my 74 YO mom to Maui for 3 nights in September. Would appreciate recommendation for an area to stay and things to do. I have a rental car and plan to go to Hana. My budget is a 2.5 to 3 star hotel, so no Ritz Carlton.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,007 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Maui?

Welcome to the Maui forum! Have you had a chance to check out the links on the sides of this page yet? Lots of info there. When you mention going to Hana, are you intending to do this as a day trip, or wanting to overnight there?

Giving us a budget will help us too, aside from just the 2.5 to 3 star. There are some with ocean view, and ocean front, and some across the street from the beaches, but they will be different in price.

Kihei is in South Maui, Ka'anapali, Kapalua, and Kahana are in West Maui. You need to decide if you care which area you are in before you look at individual places. With only 3 nights, and wanting to go to Hana, South Maui is probably the better choice.

Does your mom like hiking, or hanging out at the beach, or shopping? Give us some more info and we can give you some better options.

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,750 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Maui?

Maui Coast Hotel in Kihei, plain Jane, airline crews stay here. We have used them for extra nights, clean, nice, large rooms, good location.

Wailea Marriott is a big cut above but less than the Grand Wailea and Four Seasons that she is located close to.

Many condo choices, but with just 3 nights you will be paying for cleaning fees which can drive the price up.

As JOan said, budget will help us help you.South Maui is closer to starting point of RTH, by 20 minutes, saving 40 round trip.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
496 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Maui?

I agree, the Maui Coast Hotel may be your best bet. It's across the road (and over a little) from Kam I beach.

There is also the brand new Courtyard Marriott in Kahului across from Costco, but it's not a great location to hang out.

Regarding condos, you may find owners who are willing to rent for 2 or 3 nights (most do have a 3-4 night minimum), but they would be charging you the cleaning fee as it's such a short stay.

have fun planning!

Mentioned in this post
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,867 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Maui?

Without a budget fo 2-3*I would take a look at The Mauian in Napili and the Kaanapali Beach Hotel on Kaanapali Beach. Napili should be gorgeous in Sept.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Maui?

Wow...that's a pretty short stay after a rather long (and expensive) flight.

A South Maui location is more convenient for airport and RTH, but if you're only crossing the valley four times, maybe you don't care if you're up in West Maui. Maybe you want to stay IN Lahaina if your mother would like to poke around Front Street. (Lahaina Shores is OK -- no beach, but ocean views.)

Mentioned in this post
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,953 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Maui?

Giving us a nightly budget would help more than the star ratings. Everyone has a different idea of what those stars mean!! You say hotel and that is fine but Maui does have quite a few different condo's that would be in all price ranges.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Maui?

Thanks all for your advices. I am spending 4 nights in Waikiki before flying to Maui for 3 nights. Mom is 74. Can take short walks but not a hiker nor a beach person. Enjoys sight seeing as long as she doesn't have to work too hard. Thus RTH. My budget for hotel is no more than $150 per night (tax included). I found Aston Kannapali Shores for $450 total. Don't know whether that's the best location for us.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,007 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Maui?

You need to remember that Aston is charging a resort fee per day. And some places will be charging for parking too, per day again. So make sure you include that in your budget!

9. Re: Where to stay in Maui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:41