We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good price?

West Covina, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good price?

Is $645 roundtrip Oct 7-12, 2012 from LAX to OGG (nonstop) a good deal?

Or do you think there's any chance it will go lower in price?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a good price?

I think it will go lower. That is pretty high. My mom just paid $450 round trip from San Diego to HNL going from August 25 - September 1st. (which is a peak travel time).

Hold off for a better fare.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good price?

High

I paid in april 333 SAn to OGG

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good price?

I'd sit on it until early or mid July. That price should drop especially since early October is shoulder season in Maui. Sign up for notices so you can track with price changes.

California
Level Contributor
449 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good price?

I also think it is high. I also have found better prices/better flights from San Diego rather than LAX.

PHP
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this a good price?

YES that does seem a bit high and it is a little early to be booking.

Set yourself up with an airfare alert here on TA, get one for LAX and San Diego.

Then set yourself up with a calendar reminder for July 17th (~90 days before you go on your trip) in my experience the 90-60 day window is when airfares drop and I have been told it is because it's when airlines want to fill their planes so it allows them to drop flights or add them based upon the 90-60 demand.

Wait for the 90 day window, then watch for the price of your desired dates to drop below $450. I've seen SAN-OGG flights as low as $380 recently.

If you get close to the 60 day mark, they are probably as low as they will get to.

At the same time keep an eye out for 'airfare deals' because sometimes these can be very good, although I have NEVER found these deals to include MY specific travel dates, lol. go figure.

Let us know how it goes!

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
552 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this a good price?

If your flight is on Alaska, you can book now and get a refund voucher for any difference if the price goes down (and repeat vouchers as the price goes down again) I get nervous when we have decided on dates and then are waiting for flights to go down. I have seen many flights that I was watching go UP right after booking! We are going over Thanksgiving and paying over $1K, so your price looks good to me! Luckily we have a companion fare to ease the hurt.

7. Re: Is this a good price?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 21:15