We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most relaxing area/hotel in Maui in early October?

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
281 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Most relaxing area/hotel in Maui in early October?

We're looking to stay in a relaxing Maui hotel for 3 days in early October. Which resorts have the most relaxed feel, offering good pool/beach options (we want to snorkel/dive). We're focused on Maui because we'll need to be on that island after the 3 days for a 6-day family event, during which we expect things to be much less relaxing :). Budget: we can afford to splurge a bit because our costs will be significantly lower during the family event portion.

Thanks in advance!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most relaxing area/hotel in Maui in early October?

Ouch...only 3 days? Well at least all of the resorts will be quieter in Oct. Maybe check out the Makena Resort if you do not plan on doing a lot of traveling. If you want to have some nightlife available look at the Hyatt, Westin or Sheraton on Kaanapali Beach.

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
281 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most relaxing area/hotel in Maui in early October?

Thanks for the recs mamma0233! yes, unfortunately 3 extra days was all we could swing with our employers...

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,698 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most relaxing area/hotel in Maui in early October?

Well, one man's splurge is another's "outrageous." If you're just looking to crash for 3 days and enjoy the beach, I'd say head to Wailea and splurge your heart out at the Four Seasons or Fairmont. If those are a bit too much splurge for you, try Makena Beach and Golf Resort or the Wailea Marriott.

Level Contributor
34,703 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most relaxing area/hotel in Maui in early October?

Honua Kai is a beautiful oceanfront resort in a great location. :).

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Most relaxing area/hotel in Maui in early October?

I second Honua Kai - haven't stayed there but we stay at the Westin Villas right next door. Honua Kai is beautiful and new and has a wonderful pool area, with Duke's right on site. You mention snorkeling, and there is a HUGE reef right in front of the Westin Villas next door. HUGE. It's our favorite feature of staying at the Villas - room to reef in minutes.

You'll be on a long but quiet beach, and you could still walk to the other side of Black Rock, snorkel there, and you'd have the Kaanapali restaurants right there, too.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Most relaxing area/hotel in Maui in early October?

for relaxing, I would choose a Bay Villa at Kapalua, or the Ritz Carlton if you want a hotel.

Dave

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most relaxing area/hotel in Maui in early October?

You don't say where your family stay will be; if it were me, for the three days, I'd stay on the opposite side of the island, so if the family event is in Kaanapali/Kapalua, then I'd stay in Wailea/Kihei, or the opposite. This way, you can spend time in both major resort areas and get a feel for them, maybe for future visits :)

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most relaxing area/hotel in Maui in early October?

You don't say where your family stay will be; if it were me, for the three days, I'd stay on the opposite side of the island, so if the family event is in Kaanapali/Kapalua, then I'd stay in Wailea/Kihei, or the opposite. This way, you can spend time in both major resort areas and get a feel for them, maybe for future visits :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,373 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Most relaxing area/hotel in Maui in early October?

Maui's top hotels are at each 'end' of the island, Makena/Wailea and Kapalua. There is also the Travaasa Hana. Kaanapali has nice, mid-range chains.

1. Four Seasons Wailea

2. The Ritz at Kapalua

Fairmont Kea Lani, Grand Wailea, Marriott Wailea, Makena Beach Resort, Hotel Wailea; Sheraton, Westin, Hyatt, etc. in Kapalua.

Migh you like Four Seasons Lanai?

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
281 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most relaxing area/hotel in Maui in early October?

Thanks everyone! I forgot to mention that for the 3 day portion of our trip, we'll just be a couple--no kids with us :)

Our family stay/event is right now planned for the Kaanapali area (they are confirming a rental) so that makes sense to pick something around Wailea/Kihei, thank you Jane2travel.

ChiSue, we definitely thought about Four Season Lanai, but figured it would eat into our short stay if we had to accommodate the travel back and forth from the island. Right now there is a direct flight from San Jose to OGG that we hope to take; if we go to Lanai, we would have to connect through Honolulu or figure out the best way to deal with ferry/rental car/airport transfers. Maybe next trip!