We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Maui have a gnat problem?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Does Maui have a gnat problem?

I keep reading a lot of reviews, even from islanders, who say that the gnat problem is getting worse and has gone beyond being an annoyance to now a downright reason not to visit or live in Maui anymore.

I have a trip booked for September and am concerned.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Maui have a gnat problem?

Guess I've missed that news. I've never experienced a gnat problem on Maui. I do know what gnats are about. We sure have them here, and the buffalo gnats in our area will smother a new born calf they are so bad.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 22:58
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Maui have a gnat problem?

OOps.. did I just respond to a troll..just noticed the one time poster..

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,859 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Maui have a gnat problem?

Well that's the first I've heard of folks being driven from the island by gnats?! What reviews were you reading?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Maui have a gnat problem?

If you (barefoot AR) are a "destination expert" for Kihei, then you must be living under a rock, b/c this seems to be a huge problem in Kihei.

mauinews.com/page/…

I have been reading reviews here on Tripadvisor, on Google, on Expedia, on flipkey, VRBO, etc. where people talk about gnats being a HUGE problem on Maui, especially in South Maui. They even can get through the screens. I am not making this up.

All you have to do is Google Maui and gnats and you get plenty of results.

You may think this is a stupid question, but the last thing I want to do is spend $5,000 on a Maui vacation, and have to stay indoors all the time due to bugs. I once had a gnat get into my ear and it required a trip to the ER. NOT FUN. Unfortunately someone I know on Maui told me about this problem AFTER I booked my trip. I am now just hoping that for some reason they are not bad in September. I was hoping someone could confirm that.

Take a look at the first review for this restaurant in Maui:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g609129-d163…

It's not just restaurants, it's hotels, condos, the beach, etc.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 23:07
Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Maui have a gnat problem?

I believe in Hawaii/Maui they are also called "midges".

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Maui have a gnat problem?

I just returned from a 14 night stay in South Maui......maybe saw 1 or 2 little flying things...... TOTAL the entire time

Goes to show you if you are looking for something you will find it, especially on the internet. You can read all sort of negative things written but really, take it all with a grain of salt.

Your trip will be fine.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 23:22
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Maui have a gnat problem?

Hosni d,

There is no need to downtalk our DEs on these forums. I assure you none of them live under a rock. I've never had any problem with them for all the times I've been to Maui or any of the other islands.

This is the first time I have even heard of it. I've never even seen it on any reviews and the only time I've even seen it mentioned is in your post.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Maui have a gnat problem?

Well, I did not SEEK out or "look for this" this issue. In the course of my research for my trip, in which I read reviews of restaurants, hotels, places, etc., I noticed that people kept mentioning this. And then when I Googled it, I saw that it's a documented problem in the Hawaiian/Maui news media.

Trust me, I would like nothing more than to pretend I never heard about this.

The fact that you didn't see any is good. Maybe this is a seasonal problem, or maybe some years it's bad, and other years it's not. I have no clue. Which is why I am trying to rely on the guidance of people in this forum.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Maui have a gnat problem?

Like I said, "I guess I had missed the news about the gnats"

After 20 plus, two week visits in both spring and Sept staying in the 900 block of Kihei Road sitting on our lanai each morning and evening, we have not encountered gnats. It is dryer in Sept. might be why we don't see/feel them.

Neither have I encountered them while sightseeing.I didn't say there weren't any.

Ran into a bunch of mosquitoes at Iao Valley one May but have not been bother by them when visiting the Valley in Sept.

Ms fuzz will shed some light, she lived in Kihei for 5 years.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Iao Valley
Iao Valley
90 Reviews
Maui, HI
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Does Maui have a gnat problem?

I am not "downtalking" anyone. I am responding to their response, which was basically calling me a liar by calling me a "troll".

If you think I am making this up, feel free to Google "Maui and gnats". I mean, it was in the Maui newspaper for crying out loud.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii