We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby friendly beaches

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Baby friendly beaches

Although this will be my third trip to Maui, it will be my first with our son who will be 5 months old when we go over the 4th of July holiday. We'll be splitting our time between Wailea and Kaanapali, so I'm looking for recommendations for beaches that would be generally calm and shady.

Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby friendly beaches

For shade, I like Maluaka in front of the resort with the same name. It is not always "calm" water but isn't dangerous waves either. The very south end of the beach has a large shade tree that keeps the sun out until about 1 or 2 pm.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,777 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby friendly beaches

Maluaka sits on front of the Makena Beach and Golf Resort. Wonderful place to take baby!! Kapalua up on the west/north side would be good but you would have to sit on the grass and not the beach for shade. Just make sure you watch the surf or check the surf reports as conditions change rapidly. There is a baby beach in Lahaina but I don't know what kind of shade there is.

Shade is hard to come by on Maui beaches. You may want to invest in something to put baby under if shade isn't available.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby friendly beaches

Thanks Julauf and msfuzz! I was thinking that it might be worthwhile to invest in a portable beach umbrella at an ABC store.

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
149 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby friendly beaches

Baby Beach in Lahaina doesn't have much shade at all, but the ocean itself is as gentle as it gets because the waves break so far offshore (look on youtube to see it firsthand). My younger daughter isn't a strong swimmer, but I taught her to snorkel at Baby Beach. We parked by the intersection of Front St. and Kenui, and there's a path between some houses to the beach. Lots of little ones splashing in the water.

bc
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby friendly beaches

We loved Baby Beach in Lahaina for our young ones!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baby friendly beaches

Ours are way past the baby stage, but last year a couple families came with small pop-up tents...the folded really small but provided great shade for napping or just getting out of the sun. I thought it was a fabulous idea. It provided more shade then the umbrellas that can be harder to deal with sometimes.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
630 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baby friendly beaches

We took out kids to Kapalua. Calm waters and there is shade.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baby friendly beaches

We're heading to Maui in August with a then 16 mo old. I'm counting on Baby Beach in Lahania and will also be getting one of the family beach cabanas. I haven't decided if I should just rent it from the company we're getting our crib rental from or to chance it and try to buy one once we get there. I think the cabanas might be a bit sturdier in wind, esp if you put some of your beach gear in there as added weight, and some have floors, which I like to get baby out of the sand for napping/etc.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,777 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baby friendly beaches

An umbrella will last until the first good gust of wind, more hassle than what they are worth especially with an infant. Get one of the pop up tents or something similar.

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
756 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baby friendly beaches

We saw the coolest mini tent (designed for babies) last year. The baby was still pretty young, not crawling around yet, so it looked perfect. Man, the baby gadgets have come a long way even from 7 years ago when I had my last....