We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large family group tripto Maui and accommodations

Fairfax Station...
Level Contributor
147 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Large family group tripto Maui and accommodations

Hello,

I have a large family group (probably 6-8 people) planning a trip to Maui in March, 2013. We are looking for advice on accommodations for a group this large. We would like to keep the cost down, maybe 200/couple per room.

We do have experience with Maui, and like Kihei and Ka'anapali. We have never traveled with this large a group however. We would like close access to beaches and restaurants.

We were considering the Blue Tile Beach House in Paia, anyone have recent experience here?

Any suggestions for large family groups are appreciated.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Large family group tripto Maui and accommodations

The vast majority of tourists who visit Maui stay across the island in either South Maui (Makena, Wailea, Kihei) or West Maui (Ka'anapali, Kahana, Napili, Kapalua). You will find many many more options for accommodations for you and that is also where you will find many more great beaches (snorkeling), shopping, restaurants, and activities. Your group might do well to rent a couple of two bedroom condos. There are many great options that would fit in your budget. There are some places with three bedroom units, but not many.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,393 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Large family group tripto Maui and accommodations

Many groups are happy renting a few separate condos withinn one complex. This avoids too much 'togetherness', and provides you a wider field from which to choose. In March, I'd want to be in South Maui for beaches, calmer oceans for snorkeling and the great whale viewing.

This is a very popular time on Maui. Get your housing and rental vehcicle(s) reserved soon.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Large family group tripto Maui and accommodations

Does your family get along? :-) Just asking because we travel every year with a tribe of 8 and stay in a 2 bedroom lock-off...that's a 1 bedroom unit connected with a studio unit, both with pull-out sofa beds.

Lots of condo choices on Maui so you can choose 2 or 4 1 bedrooms in the same complex or any configuration that works for you!

Fairfax Station...
Level Contributor
147 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Large family group tripto Maui and accommodations

Wow, thanks for the quick advice to all! I'm thinking that a couple of condos in South Maui (Kihei) is going to be the way to go. I have used VRBO with good results in the past, and will start looking there.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Large family group tripto Maui and accommodations

I guess I read quickly and didn't catch that your plans are for March 2013. ChiSue's advice is dead on about getting your reservations in soon. March is still prime whale season. And Easter is earlier next year (March 31) which means school breaks and family travels will add to the draw to Maui.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Large family group tripto Maui and accommodations

Check with your airline for a package deal.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Large family group tripto Maui and accommodations

Our family celebrated my parents 50th anniversary on Maui in Dec. 2008. We were 20 family members strong and we all stayed at the same condo complex in north Kihei. We had four condos....three two bedroom and one one bedroom. We made sure the property manager knew we were a group. It was better for all our sanity to have each family have their own condo! Enjoy your vacation....Deb

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,393 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Large family group tripto Maui and accommodations

I like this site for South Maui condos because the manager has vetted the units before taking an ad: www.mauiownercondos.com

If you want to be across from the Kamaole Beach Parks in South Kihei, look at condos from Maui Vista at the north end to Maui Hill on the south. There are also less expensive options in North Kihei and Maalaea -- and more expensive ones in Wailea and anywhere that is beachfront.

LA
Level Contributor
10,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Large family group tripto Maui and accommodations

I know of a family who has regular family reunions at Puamana Condos just outside of Lahaina.

Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Large family group tripto Maui and accommodations

We've gone with 6 people, two condos, one of which had a washer and dryer--yeah for that! Plus, the condos usually offer only ONE parking space per condo, and I'm guessing with 8 people you would have more than one rental vehicle, so you need to rent enough condos to match parking spaces needed. And I'm suggesting for sure if you have 6-8 people, rent more than one car--this way, some can go one way, some can go another, works great and helps keep everyone in good humor.

We stayed at Kihei Kai Nani--not fancy, but across the street from Kam II where you can snorkle, etc. Pool was adequate. We're headed back in Dec/Jan.

Check out ownersmaui.com--this is a group of the Kihei Kai Nani owners who all keep up their units and I think you'd find them satisfactory.