We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui & Big Island - 5 days

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Maui & Big Island - 5 days

Hi,

I have planned for a 5 days vacation to Maui & Big Island, I am trying to figure, how I can split those 5 days between Maui & Big Island.

We are a young couple with a toddler who is 14 months old.

Pls advice.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui & Big Island - 5 days

5 days with a toddler? Maui only. That's my advise. You'll get more. Enjoy!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
378 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui & Big Island - 5 days

With only five days, definitely only one island. I agree, Maui would be a great choice to enjoy with a toddler. I'd also suggest choosing a condo, if you can find one that is willing to rent to you for less than a week. What time of year are you coming, and what is your budget? With that information, people can help you out by making some suggestions.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,736 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui & Big Island - 5 days

Have you already booked your flights? If not, I would recommend only visiting one island and would choose Maui for this vacation and leave the Big Island for another trip. It takes half a day to move from one island to another ... too much time wasted on such a short trip. Only having 2 days on each island is also too short.

p.s. I was typing this when the others were posting ... glad to see that there is a consensus on choosing Maui.

Edited: 16 June 2012, 17:51
Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui & Big Island - 5 days

I agree only choose 1 island. Usually it is recommended to go to 2 islands if you have at least 10 days. If you split your time you really will not have enough time to really see or do anything. You will waste 1/2 day at the airports, checking in and out of hotel/condo and then a lot of places don't let you check in until after 3pm.

Good luck!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui & Big Island - 5 days

Volcano Air has two hour flights that fly around the Big Island that usually leave from the Kapalua airport. It seems a bit expensive to me at almost $400 per person, but kids under 2 do fly free. It flies along Maui's North coast on its way to the Big Island and the volcano.

There are other one day trips from Maui to Hawaii but they sound very rushed to me as the shuttle you around the island in a bus with 20 other people.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui & Big Island - 5 days

Maui only. You would need a minimum of 10 days for both islands.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui & Big Island - 5 days

Sorry that we are all raining on your parade, but maybe you don't realize how large the Big Island is and that the joy of it takes time to absorb. There is a lot of driving on the BI to see the sights or even to get to your hotel! (unless you stay at Kona--not usually recommended). I think the half day wasted is optimistic--with a toddler and dropping and getting rental cars (you need them on both islands) then check out and in--one day gone. The point of a Hawaiian vacation is to relax, IMO, so my advice to you is to relax and choose one island and then you are guaranteed a great vacation!

Sally in Seattle

New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui & Big Island - 5 days

With only 5 days, I wouldn't even think about the Big Island. Maybe Maui, but even then it is NOT enough time!

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui & Big Island - 5 days

From the west coast as long as you have at least 5 nights, not 5 days and 4 nights, I think it would still be worth a trip to Maui. People here really do want to help and not to scare you off. We're all here because we've been helped by the forum and enjoy returning the favor and also vicariously enjoying everyone else's trips. So go ahead and ask more questions and tell us more about your situation and plans. We'll give you our experiences and of course you can do whatever you want with that!

When are you coming? I'm sure you've given thought to how demanding traveling with a 14 month old can be. But if your child is still an infant now, you might think it won't be much different. In our experience it is a lot more complicated. Once those kids are mobile it's not as easy as packing an infant in a carrier. And their needs usually come first, don't they? I would not want to be rushed.

There are lots of relaxed family friendly condos on or very close to the beach on Maui. One that looks like it would be great with toddlers is Puunoa in Lahaina. It's right on calm Baby Beach and easy walking to restaurants, shops, etc in Lahaina. Here's link tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60634-d111842-…

It's pricy but there are plenty of other places that fit into lower budgets. Let us know how we can help.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui & Big Island - 5 days

It's hardly worth the time and expense to fly to Hawaii for less than a week. Your toddler -- and probably you, too -- will need a day to adjust to the time change (two hours winter; three hours summer). With only five days, you'll just about 'arrive' when it is time to pack up for home.

One week = One island. Ten nights = Two islands. Two weeks = Three islands (two if one is Big Island). Condos are great for families with kids; you'd save by renting one for a full week. You'll need to budget for a rental car anywhere outside Honolulu. Maui is a family favorite. Oahu and Kauai are also lovely islands.

If you want to visit Big Island to explore Volcano National Park, wait until your child is much older. Even adults are sometimes made ill by the vog eminating from the active volcano.