We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kannapali are or Wailea for family vacation in Sept/Oct 2012

Lockport, Illinois...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kannapali are or Wailea for family vacation in Sept/Oct 2012

We are planning on family vacation at the end of sept/ beginning of Oct. in Maui. I will be traveling with my husband and two daughters, age 5 and 7.I have a very hard time choosing the area between Kannapali and Wailea, do you have any suggestions? I chose hotels that I am considering, but I dont know which area is better, nicer,deluxe but not too stiff. I was thinking about Westin on Kannapali or Kea Lani on Wailea. I am open to any suggestions. I don't pay that much attention to rooms, it does not bother me if they are outdated, but I like when the hotel has a beautiful scenery, and a nice beach, and nice pools.I also like when you can walk to little shops, but not necessary.Please help me in choosing the area or suggest a hotel.Last year we traveled to Waikkiki Beach and stayed at Hilton hawaiian Vilage,and it was nice.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Denver
Level Contributor
76 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kannapali are or Wailea for family vacation in Sept/Oct 2012

The Westin in Kaanapali has a beautiful beach lovely grounds and is next door to the Whaler's Village shopping center. Whaler's Village has lot's of shops, restaurants and even a few fast food choices so you don't have to pack the kids up in the car to eat some place other than the hotel. Might be a good choice for you!

Mentioned in this post
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,479 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,510 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lockport, Illinois...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kannapali are or Wailea for family vacation in Sept/Oct 2012

Thank you for responding. So, I would assume that Wailea does not have shops near by,and if we want to dine out, we would have to drive.Do you know how is snorkling near Westin?I have never snorkled before,but maybe the kids would enjoy it,although they maybe too young.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kannapali are or Wailea for family vacation in Sept/Oct 2012

You could use google maps and see what shops/stores are within walking distance to help you decide.

California
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kannapali are or Wailea for family vacation in Sept/Oct 2012

Wailea is very nice and they have a shopping center within walking distance but I find Kannapali has more to offer plus you can walk to the Whaler shopping center for shops and dining. You can't go wrong with either.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,151 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kannapali are or Wailea for family vacation in Sept/Oct 2012

I suggest you look at some condos in both Kaanapali and the South Kihei/Wailea area. Kahana is more older high-rises and an open-air mall, Whaler's Village. Wailea is more upscale - home to most of Maui's top hotels and Shops At Wailea. Kihei is a beach town -- best lodgings at the south end near the Kamaole parks.

I like South Maui better for young familes and Kaanapali more for young couples and families with adult children who want the Front Street Lanaina nightlife.

Your children are not too young to try snorkeling. The three Kamaole Beach Parks in South Kihei have lifeguards, restrooms and nice grassy areas with shade. There are great beaches from there on south through Wailea and Makena. Keawakapu Beach is shallow with sandy bottom quite far out.

Your family would enjoy the Maui Ocean Center in Maalaea.

This site for South Maui condos is a good one. The manager has inspected every property before accepting an ad. www.mauiownercondos.com

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,510 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kahana Beach Resort
Kahana Beach Resort
346 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Kamaole
Maui Kamaole
710 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lahaina Front Street
Lahaina Front Street
4,402 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kamaole Beach Park I
Kamaole Beach Park I
257 Reviews
Maui, HI
Makena Beach
Makena Beach
775 Reviews
Maui, HI
Keawakapu Beach
Keawakapu Beach
438 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Ocean Center
Maui Ocean Center
4,088 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maalaea
Maalaea
57 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kannapali are or Wailea for family vacation in Sept/Oct 2012

Kapalua Bay is a great spot for beginning snorkelers. Its just about a 15 minute drive north of Ka'anapali beach. The water is calm and the beach is also nice so if you find that you want to take a break and just lay in the sun there is plenty of space to do so.

Ka'anapali beach has many hotels/condos within walking distance to shopping and the walk is very nice. There is a beachfront boardwalk that connects most of the hotels and Whaler's Village (the open air shopping mall and restaurants).

Mentioned in this post
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Ka'anapali Beach
Ka'anapali Beach
7,850 Reviews
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kannapali are or Wailea for family vacation in Sept/Oct 2012

There are so many great condos available in both areas! With a family I would never pick a hotel!

Kitchen, washer and dryer, more room to spread out a real no-brainer for me.

We LOVE the area north of Black Rock on Kaanapali...lovely quieter beach, oceanfront condos and really easy access to Whaler's Village and Lahaina. The much more affordable area.

Take a look at www.chasenrainbows.com

The other areas to look at are Napili or Kapalua for a late summer trip...gorgeous when the weather is hot! And yes those months are HOT!

Mentioned in this post
Black Rock
Black Rock
820 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,510 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Napili Beach
Napili Beach
2,390 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,032 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kannapali are or Wailea for family vacation in Sept/Oct 2012

At Ka'anapali I'd look at the Hyatt Regency and Sheraton over the Westin. The Hyatt has better grounds and a nicer pool. The Westin does not use its land very well, everything is jammed together.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

The Hyatt Regency uses its land better and the grounds are nicer.

The Sheraton also has great grounds and the pool is okay, but not as good as the Hyatt's, but the beach is the best in Ka'anapali.

I would also look at the Marriott in Ka'anapali which are part of the Marriott Vacation Club. They have kitchens (sort of) and the Marriott has a great pool too.

IN South Maui I'd look at the Marriott as well. You have to walk a bit to get to the beach, but you are right next to the Shops at Wailea.

marriott.com/hotels/…

The Fairmont Kea Lani is a bit further from the Shops, but has a great beach and nice pool.

Mentioned in this post
Ka'anapali
Ka'anapali
Maui, HI
5,479 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
4,863 Reviews
Maui, HI
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kannapali are or Wailea for family vacation in Sept/Oct 2012

You can't go wrong with either location...both are great and you are going at a really nice time of the year. I stayed at the Westin a few years back and loved it. I thought the pools were fantastic (we don't have kids and I still really enjoyed it). The grounds are beautiful too! The Westin is right next to Whaler's Village and gives you food and shopping options. The Hyatt and Sheraton are a little further, still in walking distance to Whalers, but it's not as convenient to the restaurants and shops.

Wailea area is beautiful. It's a little quieter than Kaanapali and they have the Shops at Wailea, which have a few restaurants too. I don't think you can go wrong with either decision and you will get pros (and very few cons) for staying at either location.

Mentioned in this post
5,479 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,510 Reviews
Maui, HI
Texas
Level Contributor
821 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kannapali are or Wailea for family vacation in Sept/Oct 2012

It's hard to beat the Hyatt Regency Maui for beauty and setting; you can easily walk to Whaler's Village from there. I've never been a fan of the landscaping at the Westin on the pool/ocean side, so if you want a gorgeous setting, I recommend HR Maui. Also, the Kea Lani is quite lovely in its setting.

Mentioned in this post
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui...
6,985 Reviews
Maui, HI
5,479 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii