We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our first tropical trip without the kids :)

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Our first tropical trip without the kids :)

We are planning a trip to Maui in April 2013 and would like to split the week between 2 resorts. We are hoping to stay somewhere romantic with a nice beach that we can snorkel at for half of the week, then stay somewhere that is maybe a little more lively and fun with access to good dining and nightlife for the other half. We are celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary and never had a honeymoon - hoping to get some suggestions for resorts and hotels :)

Suffield, Ct
Level Contributor
165 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our first tropical trip without the kids :)

We just returned from Maui last month with our college age sons. Our first two nights we spent at Mama's Fish House Inn just outside of Paia. We absolutely loved it. The accommodations, (2 bedroom garden cottage) were absolutely lovely. The beach is beautiful with a limited capacity to swim but we could see the wind surfers from there. It was also a good location to explore the north side of the island; Hana Hwy, Makawao, etc. The best part was being so close to Mama's Fish House. I would say that Mama's and BLT Steak House in Honolulu, were the best meals of our trip. From there we went to the west side with 6 nights at the Marriott Ocean Club in a one bedroom suite. That too was a good choice.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our first tropical trip without the kids :)

What is your budget RobinKerry? That would help providing places to stay. For romance with a nice beach would be The Four Seasons in Wailea, but that is out of many people's budget, so a budget amount would help. I would suggest that if you are going to split your stay, spend half in the south near Wailea/Kihei and the other half on the west near Kaanapali/Kapalua area.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our first tropical trip without the kids :)

We split our stay. Started at Eldorado (2 nights) so we could snorkel Black Rock without having to worry about parking. They have great reviews too. We stayed in room I-201 and it's a good one. It would be a good idea if people posted their room number in reports.

Then we moved to Kapalua Ridge Villas for 2 nights as the splurge, room 522. We booked it as a 1 bedroom and they gave us a 2 bedroom and left everything open. We came during the non busy time of the year, that's probably why we got the free upgrade. The place was huge with amazing views. So there's your romance part if you want to spend the money.

I liked the Eldorado better, but you can look at my trip report, see pictures.

http://www.nogodforme.com/MauiHawaii2011.htm

The best advice I have is do all the tour stuff and OLL while you are in Kaanapali, that's the busy stuff. Then when you move to the splurge place, slow down and relax.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our first tropical trip without the kids :)

For quiet and great snorkeling in front of the resort look at Makena Resort, then move to the West side for the lively time.

Congratulations on your 5th.

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our first tropical trip without the kids :)

Hi PensFan71

Thanks for your reply. We're trying to keep it under $4500.00 :)

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our first tropical trip without the kids :)

Thank you BarefootnAR

We were considering Makena for half of the week. Now we just need to figure out where to go for the 2nd half. Do you have any sugguestions for a nice resort on the West Side?

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our first tropical trip without the kids :)

Hi Robvia

Thanks for the info - yes I agree! I love when people post their room information because the resorts often lack description in this area.

Cranbrook, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our first tropical trip without the kids :)

Thanks for the information DawnCt - I've heard Mama's Fish Hut is an excellent place to eat - we'll have to put it on our "to do" list!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our first tropical trip without the kids :)

I too suggest staying at the Makena Beach and Golf Resort for your relaxing part of your stay. Great hotel and Maluaka (name of beach) is a great place to snorkel. No Hut in Mama's Fish House name!!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our first tropical trip without the kids :)

I walked the grounds at Makena Beach and Golf Resort and it was a very beautiful resort. We snorkeled at Maluaka Beach (per msfuzz's suggestions) and it was some of the best snorkeling I've done on Maui. I saw 6 turtles while snorkeling there.

If you wanted something that is a little less secluded and very close to 2 nice beaches, you can try the Wailea Marriott. They have a gorgeous Serenity Adult's only pool, which is an infinity pool that overlooks the ocean. The only downside is that there is not a beach right in front of the property, but there are beaches to both sides of it and they are within 5 minute walks.

I would guess both resorts are within your budget and pretty close to each other on price.