We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui vs Caribbean

Newport Beach
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Maui vs Caribbean

Hello,

We have never been to Maui and are considering Maui for our vacation trip. We have been to the Caribbean island many times and wondering is Maui like other Caribbean Island? Is the beach in Maui similar? Can anyone give me the comparison?

Thank you so much,

Tibbie

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui vs Caribbean

I find Maui to be much more of a tropical paradise than the Caribbean islands that I've been to, with lush vegetation, waterfalls and volcanic rock.

We like being able to explore the island in a rental car and having so much variety in places to visit that we never get bored. The roads are good, rental car agencies are reputable and we can go where we like.

A highlight for us is renting a condo at the ocean, with a lanai that has an amazing view of the water and the islands of Molokai and Lanai.

Being able to eat where we want - restaurants (of which there are no end of choices) or at the condo, and not having to eat the 'hit and miss' food at the A-I's in the Caribbean is a plus for us.

Maui has a lot of beaches with beautiful sand, great swimming and many with excellent snorkelling. Here are a couple of links to give you an idea of what the beaches and water look like - go to the bottom photo and see the 360 view:

hawaiigaga.com/maui/…kahekili-beach-park.aspx

hawaiigaga.com/maui/…kaanapali-beach.aspx

In addition there are black sand beaches and a red sand beach (volcanic sand).

I would encourage you to give Maui a try. A warning though ... it becomes addictive after a first visit and you'll want to come back to Maui, as well as some of the other islands. :)

rhode island
Level Contributor
831 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui vs Caribbean

We used to go the Caribbean at least once a year, but since our first trip to Hawaii 10 years ago, we haven't been back since. Maui/Hawaii has so much to offer with so many different choices of islands. If you want a city visit Oahu and enjoy Waikiki and take a trip to the beautiful lush North Shore. If you want relaxation with quiet time and lush beauty like the Hawaii of old visit Kauai. If you want something in between, there's Maui. And I haven't even mentioned the Big Island of Lanai!

Water is clean, food is delicious and culture is so fascinating. The people of Hawaii are some of the friendliest I've ever met. You can't find Aloha in the Caribbean.

Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui vs Caribbean

We are in the same boat and go to the Caribbean every year and are looking for change. We have booked to go for 12 days to Maui and Kauai. We are so looking forward to our first trip to Hawaii this October..

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,093 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui vs Caribbean

Thanks for asking this... we have talked about going the other way... TO the Caribbean. We have been to Hawaii 8 times since 2007, 4 of those times were on Maui. We have met people from back east who REFUSE to go to the Caribbean, even though a lot of their friends go there. Their reason is the poverty.

I guess our reason for always going back to Hawaii, aside from the obvious, in that we love it, and yes, we are addicted, but also it is so easy for us being on the west coast. A six hour flight, only three time zones, and relatively inexpensive to fly there. My husband and I paid just over 900.00 CAD for BOTH of us to fly there last May for our two weeks. I need to pay over 800.00 for my ONE daughter to fly return from Vancouver to Ottawa... why can't she go to university in Hawaii?????

Anyway, have always loved the idea of cruising some of the Caribbean islands, they certainly are cheap enough, but the flight over there is what has put us off so far... My husband lived on Antigua when a toddler, for a year, but has no recollection of it, so maybe we will make it there one of these years. In the meantime, I can hardly wait to get back to Maui! Or Kauai! Or Hawaii, the Big Island! Or... you get the drift.

Aloha!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui vs Caribbean

I suppose it depends on which Caribbean island you are trying to compare Maui to. Some of the Caribbean islands are third world nations where the glitzy resorts are in stark contrast to poverty on the island.

I think the Hawaiian Islands are more attractive, especially Kauai, than any of the Caribbean islands I've been to and I've been to most of them through various cruises.

It also depends on the experience you are looking for. The French and Dutch islands are fun and culturally very interesting and so are the southern British islands.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
115 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui vs Caribbean

We have been to the Caribbean (Cayman Islands, the Bahamas - Nassau and Freeport, and Jamaica) and are going for our 5th time to Maui this summer. I agree with the above posts that it depends on which islands you have visited and what experience you are looking for, but our main observations are:

1. Safety. Although you must practice commom sense/precautions no matter where you travel, we have always felt very safe in Maui, and we have been all over the island. Of the islands we have visited, I would never have picked up and explored the island on our own.

2. Modern ammenities. While many of the islands are luxurious around the resorts, when you stray very far away there are a lot of run down and / or poverty stricken areas. Maui is more consistently modern/upscale around the island, although if you are looking for more of an "old Hawaii" feel I have read on these posts there are places that will give you that feel as well. We are used to staying in Kaanapali, but for a change of pace we visited Grand Cayman last year. We were told this was one of the more upscale islands, and we stayed in a very nice condo on the best part of Seven Mile Beach. While the condo and beach were beautiful, you didn't have to walk far to some across abandoned and run down areas .

3. Variety of activities / restaurants. Maui can be as active or relaxed as you make it. There are so many activities and many environments within the same island. You can go up to the top of Haaleakala, hike in the lush forests, take advantage of the many water activities, and too many things to list. There is also much more abundance of nice restaurants and shopping.

4. Climate. Depending on time of year, I think generally Maui is more temperate with temps usually in the 80's and lower humidity than we found in the Caribbean.

5. Water. Most of the Caribbean islands we have visited have been calm, clear, and warm water. Maui waters are a little bit cooler, although still very comfortable. There are a large variety of beaches from calm (e.g. Baby Beach), to some good waves for boogie boarding (Kaanapali), to some huge waves on the north shore (for watching the pros only!).

Also, as your location is Newport Beach, wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to get to for you than Caribbean? Good luck - let us know what you decide!

Newport Beach
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui vs Caribbean

Thank you for all your wonderful input.

Sandy...yes I am from California...but you wouldn't believe the cost of airline ticket. $ 800 for per person flying out of LAX to Maui!

Denver
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui vs Caribbean

Tibet71 - $800 out of LAX is too much. You need to redefine your search because there are cheaper arifares out there. You may be searching for your flight too early or too late, flying on the wrong days of the week, or the wrong month. If you can be flexible you will find something cheaper.

Denver
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui vs Caribbean

Must also add, I have been to many of the Caribbean islands and several Hawaiian islands and have enjoyed them all for different reasons. I think Hawaii is more expensive than most of the Caribbean, but definately beautiful, safe, relaxing and fun. There are bargains out there if you can spend the time searching. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,816 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui vs Caribbean

We *used* to visit the Caribbean in winter...cruises, staying St. Thomas/St. John, Barbados, etc. It's not terribly far from our home in Chicago.

Then we 'discovered' Hawaii and now pay much more and fly nine hours to get back there. We've stayed two to four weeks on each of the four major islands over the years. Now we stay South Maui.

Hawaii is a tropical paradise that has all the 'goodies' of being a State.

I never wanted to live in California, but it would sure be easier/cheaper to get to Maui if I did! (We normally pay around $800 pp airfare. You will find less expensive fares!)