We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please put my mind at rest about driving in Maui

Horsham, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Please put my mind at rest about driving in Maui

Hi,

I wonder if you could please help put my mind at rest?

I'm coming to Maui in August from the UK with my soon to be wife for part of our honeymoon. We will be staying at Ho'olio house.

Originally when I booked I didn't want to hire a car because I've never driven on the 'right' side of the road (I have been driving 11 years but only on the left in UK).

Now looking at activities etc I realise that it would be quite a disadvantage to not hire a car but I am a little nervous. What's driving like in Maui? Are the roads and signs easy to follow and do I need GPS? is driving on the opposite side of the road easy to pick up for the first time?

We will be landing at 10pm and picking up a car from the airport if we do hire so I'm hoping the roads will be quieter then for me to concentrate and adapt (and find our B+B).

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Dan

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please put my mind at rest about driving in Maui

You will do fine! I have driven on the 'left' side of the road when traveling numerous times. My suggestion:

* take the insurance (I never do it when driving on the right, but I do when driving on the left)

* think ahead when driving

*.the main problem for me is during an emergency or when a quick reaction is needed

Take your time and you will be fine.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,990 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please put my mind at rest about driving in Maui

In addition to the good suggestions above -

- these tips on adjusting to driving on the right side of the road might be of help:

wikihow.com/Adjust-to-Driving-a-Car-on-the-R…

- from the airport to your B & B only involves a few turns - having a map with exact directions will make it easier - if you are used to using a GPS, you might find it easier than the map: http://tinyurl.com/7lck8qw

- the roads are in good condition and signage is good. There aren't a lot of roads : honolulupublishing.com/MauiMaps/maui_map_isl…

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,131 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please put my mind at rest about driving in Maui

I agree with Susan and Epicurean, and Maui is the perfect place to start on the "right" side of the road. Most people driving in Maui are very friendly, letting cars in, and showing aloha. We never use a GPS there, but with your circumstances, you may feel more comfortable having it, especially the first night trying to find your B&B. The rental people are very good about giving directions when you are at the counter as well. You could even get them to mark the route on your map. You will need a flashlight or use the interior light though to read it. Actually, if you have the sunrise up at Haleakala on your itinerary, packing a flashlight would be a good idea anyway.

On another note, honking the horn is seldom heard in Maui, considered to be rude by some. Actually, the only time I've ever heard someone honking their horn was in the tunnel to Lahaina! That would be us too!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,763 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please put my mind at rest about driving in Maui

no need to worry. can't imagine using a gps ON not in, maui. all the locals are very happy to tell you how to get there. i am from a tourist town, and spend alot of time helping others..

you will be so happy to have your own car to explore all the many wonderful things to do on maui. have fun.

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
811 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please put my mind at rest about driving in Maui

The golf glove helped me a lot in UK. I wore it everytime we drove. It always reminded me on which side of the road I suppose to drive. Most likely you need to buy golf club for left handed to wear in on the right hand or any glove on the right hand would help.

Do not forget to read Hawaii Driver's Manual - http://hawaii.gov/dot/highways/hwy-v

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,612 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please put my mind at rest about driving in Maui

When driving on the "wrong" side in Oz it helped to have the passenger remind the driver to take right turns wide.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please put my mind at rest about driving in Maui

I've always felt that the issue wasn't so much remembering which side of the road to drive on as much as it was other things like remembering which direction to look before pulling into an intersection, etc. But I've navigated London traffic without much difficulty and you'll be able to handle Maui just fine.

In fact, with staying at Ho'olio House, I think you'll really need a car. Ho'olio is a lovely, quiet place that sits up on the mountain side a bit south of Lahaina. So you'll need a car just to get to a beach let alone explore any of the other great adventures on the island. So go for it! You'll be surprised at how quickly you adjust :-)

I'll echo Epicurean's advice to take the insurance. Someone gave me that advice on our first driving trip to the UK. On our 4th day there I had a bit of an altercation with a concrete post in a very confined Car Park in Stratford-on-Avon. When we turned the car in later I was able to simply say "sorry" and walk away because I had taken all the insurance offered. Insurance and liabilities when traveling internationally are different so it's good to make sure you are covered.

Hope you have a blast. Come back and let us know how the "wrong side" driving worked out for you :-)

8. Re: Please put my mind at rest about driving in Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:16