We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels with surf

Fountain Valley...
1 post
Save Topic
Hotels with surf

I was wondering if there were any hotels that had any surf spots close by. Usually I end up having to drive somewhere

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,681 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels with surf

Your best bet is to stay in Napili to be the closest to the best surf. For sure you want to be in West Maui, not South.

surfline.com/surf-report/…

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,010 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels with surf

Surf will depend on time of year. North/west in the winter months, south Maui in the summer months.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels with surf

Surfing in the south is bad, you need a really exceptional swell for anything good there. I'd stick with the West unless you are coming to Maui JUST to surf then I would stay in Kahului and head out each day from there.

Cove Park is the only real surf spot in the main tourist areas. Ma'alaea is only good when the surf is way up, then it is way scary. Other than that Makena Point and La Perouse Bay are the only other places and they are way south, end of the road for La Perouse Bay.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels with surf

As mentioned above, time of year will matter. Also what is your skill level? Honolua Bay is a great wave but it's not a beginner spot.

There is one occasionally decent lineup in Kaanapali, mid-way down. I surfed unnamed breaks in Honokowai for years right in front of condos we stayed in. Puamana has a break and easy walk to town or down the beach.

I really like surfing Ma'alaea when I've been in that area, but as mentioned it is a bit dicey at times...shallow and super offshores.

5. Re: Hotels with surf

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 20:16