We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of Maui should we stay- 4 Single female travellers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What part of Maui should we stay- 4 Single female travellers

Can't decide what part of Maui to stay- we are keen to avoid young families as much as possible and be near some nightlife? West Maui? South Maui?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,601 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What part of Maui should we stay- 4 Single female travellers

Kaanapali and nearby Lahaina will have the most nightlife. There is a shuttle between the two. It's West Maui -- I'd stay in Kaanapali.

Wailea is south, more upscale, but less nightlife and action overall.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What part of Maui should we stay- 4 Single female travellers

Agree on Kaanapali. There's Whaler's Village for shopping, and many of the tour activities pick up passengers there. Since you're new, I'll post my TR again.

http://www.nogodforme.com/MauiHawaii2011.htm

Don't worry about ocean front or ocean view, that's what hangs everyone up as they search for a place to stay, it's very expensive. Go with garden view. We stayed in room I-201 of Outrigger Eldorado and it's a great unit.

Everyone, please post your room number in your trip reports.

Night life, you'll be tired at 8pm every night, so it really doesn't happen like it does in Vegas. Most activities happen early in the morning, so you want to go to bed early.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 12:46
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,065 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part of Maui should we stay- 4 Single female travellers

I agree Kaanapali would be the best area to stay for what you are looking for. I personally need the ocean "view" when I come because I don't get that at home and I love to sit and enjoy the views while waiting for others to get ready, etc. you have to decide if that is important to you. Let us know price range and if you want services of a hotel or convenience of condo and people will have great suggestions. There are always some kids around, especially depending on when you stay, but some places cater to kids more than others.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 13:42
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,685 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What part of Maui should we stay- 4 Single female travellers

I think Kihei and their beaches would be lots of fun for your group! There are bars in the area, lots of places to eat and shopping available both inexpensive and higher end at the Shops at Wailea. Ut would require more driving than Ka'anapali.

I am in total disagreement with Robvia about being hung up on ocean views. That is a big part of the reason I am vacationing in the Hawaiian islands! We enjoy and require the view and our time is spent at the beaches!

You do not have to pay "big money" to get the view. Koa Lagoon #104....total time spent in this condo over three years is ten weeks. Koa Lagoon #301.....two weeks in Dec. 08 and 16 nights reserved for the end of Sept./Oct. The one bedroom is $150 and two bedroom is $180, excluding taxes and this is low season. We swim elsewhere but enjoy walking the beach. Not a lot of action for your group but inexpensive and a view that kills! Deb

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What part of Maui should we stay- 4 Single female travellers

Add me to the list of those in disagreement with robvia's advice on OV's ... it's not a 'hang up' - rather a preference, and many of us who stay in them realize that there's a good selection of reasonably priced condos with spectacular ocean views. If anyone has a 'hang up' I would have to say that it's robvia, considering how often he copies and pastes that same paragraph into different threads in this forum.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 15:18
northwest
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What part of Maui should we stay- 4 Single female travellers

We are staying at the Whaler with great view 1 bedroom and 2 bathrooms for $180 a night. I always want a ocean view too. I like to wake up and have my tea looking at it and my wine in the evening. Plus I don't know when you are going but watching the whales from our room will be such a treat. I like a bit of nightlife myself a few nights on vacation so we picked this area for that too. Have fun,

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What part of Maui should we stay- 4 Single female travellers

Kihei in south Maui has just as much "nightlife" as Kaanapali does. It's a beach town as opposed a planned resort community that Kaanapali is. Just depends on budget and what you really want out of your accommodations.

I don't need an ocean view, I can see that almost anytime. What I do know is on my first trip to Hawaii, some 14 years ago, being from Colorado an ocean view was a MUST on my list. Those of us who are from land locked regions are in awe of the ocean.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What part of Maui should we stay- 4 Single female travellers

If my comments come across the wrong way then I apologize. I don't cut and paste the same thing, it's all typed out, and everything I say comes from our experience. When we looked for a place to stay, the prices for ocean front were expensive. So we booked Eldorado and then splurged staying at Kapalua Villas.

Maybe that's the other answer, is to split the stay between resorts on the same island. The only negative about this is not having a room for a few hours when moving. When we checked out of Eldorado, we arrived Kapalua Villas at noon hoping a room would be ready, but it wasn't until 3pm. So we walked the golf course taking pictures and toured the area.

The positive is trying 2 resorts.

It is great someone posted their room number with a low priced resort. That's what people are looking for. They want the room number where someone had a great stay.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,685 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What part of Maui should we stay- 4 Single female travellers

Hi Robvia.....I think I just got annoyed because I don't consider wanting an ocean view from my lanai to be a hang-up. We're good and I got a kick when you called my little piece of paradise in Kihei a resort. It's an awesome 42 unit condo complex and we are total budget travelers! Means I can go to my favorite place more often and it's cool with my husband! I agree that it helps when people use their specific room/condo numbers. Deb

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What part of Maui should we stay- 4 Single female travellers

Girls ... will you have a car??