We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Center of Maui ”

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
Center of Maui ”

Is it a good idea or a bad idea to try and stay in the center of Maui. We are not renting a car just want nice beach are close for grandson. and then everything else we will get guided tours i guess to see island.please advise us This trip this time is basically for grandson. Wife and I went to Oahu last year. But chose here this time for grandson to have fun

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Center of Maui ”

Kihei is quite central, has nice beaches and a good choice of affordable accommodations (I recommended Kihei in your post today re the Seaside). But without a rental car the cost to get there and back, plus cost of tours is going to be expensive. If renting a car is an option, it will save you quite a bit of money.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
816 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Center of Maui ”

Lets try to condense this to one thread....

It really would be unwise to not rent a car. You will most likely save money in the long run, once you add up shuttles, tours, etc. Plus, you will really be missing out on so much if you don't rent one. What activities are you interested in? That will help us guide you on what area to stay in... :-)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Center of Maui ”

You will save so much money by renting a car. After the costs of shuttles getting to and from your lodging plus tours, you could actually save money by renting a car. If you do not drive that is one thing, then you will have to pay to get from point a to point b!! In Kihei you can stay without a car and have plenty of places to eat and things to do without a car. That said, you will only see a fraction of this gorgeous island.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
816 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Center of Maui ”

Hi again Bob S. I have looked at the rest of your posts and noticed you are trying to stay on a tight budget. Could you give us an idea of what you are looking to spend once you arrive: including accomodations, activities, car rental (trust me you'll want this), etc. Kihei will be a good place for you to look into because it has many reasonable accomodations and it well located for lots of activities. I'd also check into a condo because you will save on food!

LA
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Center of Maui ”

Maui is not like Oahu. It does not have nearly the transportation system that Oahu does.

You really should rent a car on Maui. Otherwise, how is the kid going to see the sights?

You also want to be as close to the beach as possible, not in the "center of Maui", which is some tract home living affordable for local people.

I would recommend a guide book and some reading about the Maui sights to see.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Center of Maui ”

Bob s, I would tend to agree with the above. Rent a vehicle, and I would go with a Resort with pool and beach in Kaanapali for the child. More to do within walking distance too. Whalers Village, restaurants along the walking path. You can also drive to Lahaina where your grandson will have fun walking around have snacks, shave ice, and the sugar cane train is there too.

I agree with PareoB, see about a guide book. Here is a link to see views of the possible resorts. Click on Maui and then Kaanapali.

www.wizardpub.com

7. Re: Center of Maui ”

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 10:17