We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mama's Fish House

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Mama's Fish House

I have been to Maui number of times but never had a chance to experience Mama's Fish House. I am almost convinced but still I cannot decide between Flatbread or Mama's. primarily due to the cost. How much is your budget for lunch at Mama's? For a party of two, should we budget more than $100 wihtout drink? I read good reviews for Flatbread Company also. We plan to have a lunch in Paia area on Day 1 at Maui, landing Kahului around 12:50pm. Is Mama's that good?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Mama's Fish House
Mama's Fish House
11,958 Reviews
Maui, HI
Flatbread Company
Flatbread Company
2,119 Reviews
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mama's Fish House

After noticing there really wasn't an obvious difference, I've asked 2 different employees of Mama's about the cost of dinner vs lunch. We were told there is almost no difference in menus. And NO difference in price.

That said, you might be less inclined to order as much for lunch and come out with a smaller bill because you're having less.

Last time there I ordered a wild boar sandwich which came with more than enough extras. $30 is a lot for a sandwich, but we weren't at a sandwich shop. My wife ordered 2 appetizers, which is a very adequate lunch. Our meal came in well under your $100 budget. But went over when including tax, tip and 2 $16 Mai Tais :). We might have split a dessert too. But what you are asking about can be done. Not sure I'd go there with the expectation of saving money.

Many TA regulars will tell you Mama's is not "that good". Others love it.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,828 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mama's Fish House

Ate at Mama"s on our recent trip. We enjoyed our dinner that we wanted to go back another night. Tried to make reservations and they were booked, so we only there once.:( I guess you could say I am a "FOODIE" and not very easy to please when eating out. The food there is good IMO... We have a family of four with four entree's, two appetizers, two desserts, sparkling water and with tip our bill came to 270.oo. NO TANK TOPs. My son decided to wear a nice tank top that night and he was turned away unless he was willing to wear one of their t-shirts. Make your reservations well in advance if you decide on Mama's. IMO, it was well worth it.

Flatbread is good too if you want pizza and a less casual meal. So good we went back 3 seperate times. Love Paia Town. Our bill for Flatbread for 4 of us was with tip, 100.00. We had one lg pizza and 1 small pizza with one salad that is big enough for two ,and two desserts.

enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mama's Fish House

You can find a good pizza in many places in the world. Mama's is rather unique in setting and decor, and the food and service are very good.

Level Contributor
37,749 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mama's Fish House

We loved our meal at Mama's! The setting is absolutely beautiful and the food is delicious. You can book on opentable for Mama's which is convenient and free of charge. Enjoy! :)

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mama's Fish House

I haven't been to Mama's yet, so I can't really comment on it from a "is it worth it" standpoint, but from everything I read, it's the whole experience and not just the food. Is it worth it to go to Mama's and not enjoy a full lunch and then skip dessert because of a budget? If it was me, I would just go and enjoy whatever you want there and maybe just go to a nice beach the next day, pack a lunch, eat a small breakfast, and then do something inexpensive for dinner (possibly cooking out at the place you are staying if that is an option).

One thing I can tell you is that The Flatbread Co is really good. It's one of my favorites on Maui. If you decide not to go to Mama's, then you have a really good 2nd choice!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mama's Fish House

I've been to Mama's once, for lunch. I enjoyed it very much. Trying to decide between Flat Bread Pizza and Mama's is like trying to decide between beer and champagne.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
227 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mama's Fish House

We have both of those places on our list of "don't miss" restaurants this year! They both sound so delicious and unique in their own right, that we don't want to miss either one. We eat out less than once a day while we are on Maui, which helps keep costs down and lets us enjoy what we really want to try. Decided to take the plunge for Mama's this year for the sheer experience of it. I'm sure we won't be disappointed; if we decide it's not quite "our thing", then at least we had the fun of trying it! I'd say go to both restaurants, if possible! Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mama's Fish House

The bottom line here...if you are doing Maui on a budget...Mama's will fail you! Yes it is expensive for lunch OR dinner.

For us lunch has always proved to be cheaper but it is not your $30 lunch at home.

It is, however, a really amazing island experience...great food, great service...just a "AHHH" place to enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mama's Fish House

exactly what mamma said! I would not enjoy Mama's if I had to skip the desert and appetizers. I would rather go for the pizza.....Deb

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mama's Fish House

I really love TA.

Thank you so much for all your wonderful advices. I am now convinced I should experience Mama's and I will go for entire course for a whole experience. Now I have a solution. We will land Kahului at 12:50pm, then leave Kahului catching 2:50pm flight that will allow us to enjoy Mama's upon arrival and Flatbread upon departure! We will try both restaurants.

Cannot wait to visit Maui! Again, thank you everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Kahului
Kahului
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii