We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking up a rental car

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Picking up a rental car

My soon to be hubby and I will be spending our honeymoon in Maui in August and we have a quick question about renting a car at the airport. We have reserved a car through Discount Hawaii Car Rental through Thriftys.

1) We have never rented a car before so this might be a silly question…The reservation was made in my name but my partner will be putting the rental on his credit card. Will this be okay?

2) When we get off of the plane is it a huge rush to get over to the car rental agency? I’ve heard that some people separate and one goes to get the car and the other stays to grab the luggage but being that there may be some confusion around the names on the reservation it may be best if we go together. Our flight arrives at 10:30 Maui time.

Thanks for your help!

Andrea

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking up a rental car

Most rental cars require the card that is used to reserve, to be the card that is used for pick up. Email or call DiscountHawaiicarrental and get them to change the car reservation information to his card.

Yes some folks rush like crazy. We don't.. Whoever has the car rented as the primary will need to pick it up. Some companies will let the other driver pick up if you are renting direct through them and are a loyalty club member and they have all of your information.

My DH helps me get bags, I wait, he shuttles to the car lot, drives back for me. By that time the mad dash of folks loading is over, and the mad dash out of the airport is over. then we lesiurely drive away, enjoying Aloha and being on Maui time.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking up a rental car

I agree, you can rush around like mad, but really, you'll be tired, get your luggage and find your shuttle without rushing around. Also, if you both want to drive, some agencies require both drivers to sign/driver's licences. Not sure about Thrifty.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking up a rental car

The most important thing to remember is to check over your car thoroughly when you get it. If there are dents, dings, and scratches on it, make sure you notify someone to document it.

The other important thing is to not pay for all the upselling that they do. Would you like insurance, prepaid gas, etc. Don't do it. Call your insurance company to ensure you are covered for a rental car and then politely say NO when they ask you all these questions. You can fill up your own gas tank when you return the car for half the cost of what they will charge you.

As far as your question, call Discount Hawaii Car Rental to see the best way to handle the CC and reservation name. It may be as simple as them putting a note on the reservation. You don't have to split up when going to the rental car desk, just make sure you hurry there and try to beat the crowd. If you've got several in your group, then it may make sense to separate, but if it's just the two of you...stick together.

Lastly, an early congrats on your wedding! You picked the perfect honeymoon destination!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking up a rental car

Call your (or your husband's) insurance company and see what they cover for rental cars in the U.S. You may need a rider. You will want to avoid paying the outrageous prices on the insurance offered by the rental company. Some will really push you hard to buy it.

If you are driving, then use your credit card and insurance. If your new husband is driving, use his card and car insurance.

Relax - grab your luggage, take the shuttle to the car rental area ... and enjoy. You are in for a big and wonderful surprise. Maui is amazing!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Picking up a rental car

Great! Thank you for the information and important reminders about inspecting the car when picking it up!

PensFan71 - Thanks :) Our Maui honeymoon is our saving grace when dealing with the stress of planning a wedding! We cannot wait!

This is such an awesome forum!

Andrea :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,871 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picking up a rental car

Andrea, often discounthawaiicarrental gives you the second driver for "free" as well, so in that case, you would both need to go to sign papers, and to show both of your licences.

Also, if you have the time, (as if, with a wedding to organize!!!) it might pay to have discounthawaii recheck the rates the week before your arrival date to see if the price has come down. Sometimes we get lucky, and have saved as much as $100.00 by doing this. That's a lot of mai tais, or a nice lunch out!

Have a wonderful time! Congratulations too!

p.s. We have a TD Visa infinite card and they cover the car insurance when we pay for the rental with this card. Also, check with ICBC... do you have the "road star" package? Or do either of you belong to BCAA or CAA? It still works there! Just don't get caught in the sand on the side of the road heading up to Lahaina. It's a gorgeous beach, but someone on TA got stuck in the sand, and AAA wouldn't help them as they were not "on the road".

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Picking up a rental car

Hi J0an123 - Fun to see your from Nanaimo! Good point about us needing to check in together to get his name and license added onto the rental!

Yes, excellent reminder to check back for lower prices! I have done that once already and our current rate was still the best but I definitely will check a few times between now and before we go :)

Thanks for your tips about the visa coverage and ICBC! Nice to get feedback from someone local as it's nice to know how our BC coverage transfers over!

Thanks again!

LA
Level Contributor
10,062 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Picking up a rental car

Most companies will also want to see the driver's license of any other drivers- so if you intend to drive at all, you will need to go to the rental place with your husband.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Picking up a rental car

My husband and I have different last names and have done every varation on the my-name-his-card, his-name-my-card, his-name-his-card, etc. It's never been a problem. But, yeah, go together so you'll have all the cards and bodies in one place, as well as be able to make decisions about who should be the primary driver and whether to add a second. (The rental car company walks you through all this.)

Most of the time, I'd much rather wait in a line at the car-rental agency than stress over splitting up, beating the crowds, etc. Plus you still risk coming in on the tail end of several other flights and hitting long lines anyway.

Sounds like the lowest-stress option is for you. So just mosey on over together when you've gotten your bags. And have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon!

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
191 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Picking up a rental car

Just experienced this. I rented the cars but lost my credit card halfway through the trip. I started the rental process only to be told (Enterprise) that if we were using my wife's credit card, she had to be the primary driver. She took over filling out the paperwork and I was the secondary driver (no additional charge). She didn't drive once :-)