We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happens if you book a luau and it rains?

northwest
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What happens if you book a luau and it rains?

I heard the sooner you book the better your seat but what if it is bad weather? Thanks

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What happens if you book a luau and it rains?

We have been visiting the islands for lots of decades, and usually do not book any activities, including luau's until after we are on island and check out the situation. Actually, we book most all of our paid activities on the first full day upon arrival.

That being said, our island weather can fool us once in a while, as it does the weather guessers.

If the luau is at a resort, and is usuallly outside, if more than one of our passing showers is predicted....like real rain, they usually will move inside to a large meeting /condeence room.

Time of year that you are visiting will make a difference. Summer dry is a good plan.

Denny

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,008 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What happens if you book a luau and it rains?

A lesson I learned the hard way: It is best to book special events (luaus, cruises, etc.) early in your trip. That leaves you more options for re-booking in the event weather does cause cancellation.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,521 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What happens if you book a luau and it rains?

Aloha,

First, it sometimes depends on who you booked with. If you book through the company itself (e.g., Old Lahaina, Feast at Lele), you will get better service and options in case of weather problems. Standard policies at the "home" of ALL reputable activity providers is to offer you a reschedule or a full refund if THEY cancel.

Okay, but you see a "great price" for the XYZ snorkel trip; you book, and the Tsunami hits that day. The company you booked through informs you that "they" didn't cancel it, weather and the boat did-so they are taking a 25% fee...........or more.

This is why I rec booking direct for all activities. Very few outside agencies refund the entire charge these days, whether you cancel or the company does. Sign of the economic times............they want something in their pocket and customer service be dammed.

With the luau, places like OLL and Feast have no indoor option-and moving a luau indoors is harder than it sounds. The hotels have to do this early the day of-if they have room-in order to set the room and the stage. The equipment all has to be moved and set up, etc, etc..........so they hate to do it unless they are sure it is going to be really bad weather the coming night.

If the forecast says "chance of showers", they will most likely stick with outdoors and the show goes on. If it does sprinkle, no biggie-if it starts to pour, they have been known to cancel then, partway in............and refund money. They also have handed out plastic ponchos to folks when it's not a howling rain, and gone forward.

So, it's kind of a crapshoot. But if you book direct with the provider, you will get the best and most options.

Edited: 14 July 2012, 17:55
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
78 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What happens if you book a luau and it rains?

At Old Lahaina Luau you can cancel up to 10 AM the day of the luau for a full refund. If there is a chance of rain and you don't wish to take the chance, they provide some option with that policy. If you decide to go there, book early. I called a month in advance for our reservations later this month and several nights were already sold out and the night we got was already 3/4 sold.

Edited: 14 July 2012, 18:06
Atlantic, Iowa
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What happens if you book a luau and it rains?

I was at a luau when it started to rain lightly. They gave us each a plastic poncho. Then it started to rain quite hard and they decided to cancel it. We were probably 2/3- 3/4 through. They handed us towels to dry off with and offered rain checks for another night within the next month, but since that was our last night there, we were just out. I would book earlier in the trip so that you can reschedule if need be. We also book our snorkeling and whale watching trips earlier in the trip so that we have time to reschedule those if there is rain or wind, as I am prone to seasickness, also.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,342 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What happens if you book a luau and it rains?

If you are booking an hotel luau, go ahead and wait until you are on island. I too recommend booking with whom ever is holding the luau because of the cancellation policies. If you are booking shows that are as popular as the Old Lahaina Luau or the Feast at LeLe, you will need to book them well before your arrival date.

7. Re: What happens if you book a luau and it rains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2013, 10:16