We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying US Airways to Maui

Calgary
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Flying US Airways to Maui

Flying from Alberta to Phoenix (approx 5 hr layover, 9am-2:00pm - should we just hang at the airport or leave for a few hours?)

Then we arrive Maui at 5:00pm. So my real question is... how is it flying with US Airways? We haven't flown with them before. We're flying using Airmiles (economy) but how accommodating are they for us to purchase upgraded seats and what do they normally charge if business class is available at point of check in?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying US Airways to Maui

When is your flight? It is so hot here in Phoenix right now you may not want to venture out, just stay in the AC of the airport unless you think 105 is comfortable.

We bought US air tickets but were actually on a United flight they called it code share or something like that. We did not like them, they charge extra for everything even blankets and pillows and do not serve a meal. Also not wide body aircraft = squished feeling.

When we arrived in Maui none of it mattered :-)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
ecoast
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying US Airways to Maui

Wouldn't you have to clear customs again if you left the airport? And there would definitely be another trip through security. I wouldn't bother, even if it weren't way over 100*.

You may have to be "eligible" to purchase an upgrade the day of flight. The prices vary. Call to find out what the charge is now. At least you'll have a basis for comparison if eligible the day you fly.

A whole lot of USAir flights are code share on other airlines, but their website shows this at booking. They're known to frequently change things, so check your itinerary often.

Most of their flights from AZ are on the narrow-body jets.

Most US airlines charge for food in economy these days, including USAir.

I don't know about pillows and blankets on USAir; their website doesn't indicate. I have always had them on UA at no charge (possibly because my flights are longhaul, not shorthaul).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying US Airways to Maui

They wouldn't have to clear customs again because it is a domestic flight.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying US Airways to Maui

I just flew from Phoenix to Honolulu on USAirways in June and it was a litle cramped but fine, I thought. Just make sure you eat before boarding if you don't want to pay for something. Also be aware the the flight I was on did not have individual entertainment systems.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying US Airways to Maui

US Airways flights are no thrills. I fly them all the time because they are the main airline going in/out of Pittsburgh. Phoenix is a really nice airport and if I were you, I'd just find a nice restaurant and have a nice long lunch. Depending on how far in the future your flight is, you could always sign up for Dividend Miles Credit Card and I believe you get 2 free passes into the USAir club, which might help pass some time. You'll also get more miles.

Don't count on getting any upgrades. The flights are usually pretty full to Hawaii and Preferred members typically get the upgrades up to a week in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Calgary
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying US Airways to Maui

Oh no! My ADHD husband will go nuts without having his own tv screen to madly scroll through...which means I'll go nuts. I better check into this further. Thanks for the heads up.

ecoast
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying US Airways to Maui

I checked the weather: your travel date shows 108* for 7/27.

I'd stick to the airport unless there was a particular sight I wanted to quickly see in Phoenix or I just wanted to be on Arizona soil for some reason. Deplaning, customs, baggage (Do you still have to retrieve your baggage and recheck it for customs issues?), dealing with taxis, TSA, getting to the gate early for your connection per requirements, and so forth will take a lot of that time. You'll need lunch in that time, too.

Were you able to call and find out the price for an upgrade?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying US Airways to Maui

I would not leave the airport.

Contact the Arline a few days before departure about possible upgrades. You can do it with points, but otherwise it may be a few $100 per person one way or first.

Not worth it for a 5 or 6 hour flight in my opinion

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
153 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying US Airways to Maui

They fly a 757-200 or 300 from PHX and it has no business class. 1st class relatively small allocation, somewhere around 10 to 12 total seats.

you could try to get seats with miles now, not sure how many. purchasing the upgrade now would be very expensive. probably around a day before the flight you could call and try the miles or purchase. but at that point you would probably be behind any of their elite class flyers that may be booked on the flight.

they try to take care of them, especially any platinum or higher folks.

and i don't think the seats have tv's. usair has some of the poorest planes going as far as entertainment. they probably have pay wifi though.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying US Airways to Maui

As you will be going out of PHX a USairways hub and assuming you have no status the chance of an upgrade will be nil unless you try to buy it far in advance for what I assume would be a significant amount of money.

Outside of Jetblue I don't believe any of the airlines going to Hawaii have individual screens. These are available on the International versions of the 777 but those carriers that run 777s to Hawaii use the domestic version which do not have individual video screens. Just realized this on our latest trip from ORD - OGG. That is why they make iPads. :)

B.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States