We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moonbow or night rainbow

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Topic
Moonbow or night rainbow

Hi All - I owe a trip report from our Kauai/Maui trip last week but wanted to post about one really cool thing that we saw on July 4th in Maui.

While sitting on our lanai after dark, the hubs and I noticed a white arc in the sky. Our lanai (we were at the Westin Villas in Ka'anapali) faced the ocean, and the arc was between Lanai and Moloka'i. It was just like a rainbow, but white. We were totally perplexed and did some Googling - and low and behold, it's a rare event called a moonbow, or night rainbow. The conditions have to be just right, where there is a nearly full moon behind you (there was) and lots of moisture in the air (it was just short of drizzly). Our camera was not able to capture it - the flash lit up the moisture drops in the air and the pictures looked like sparkles.

Has anyone else seen this? It was really cool.

ecoast
Level Contributor
339 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moonbow or night rainbow

Yes. Very special event.

Lakelady2451
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moonbow or night rainbow

Yes, I've seen it but in Cumberland Falls St Park in Kentucky. If you have a good camera ... I suppose one with a slow shutter speed, you can actually see the rainbow colors. It's extremely rare so you are really lucky to have seen one.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,428 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moonbow or night rainbow

That must have been spectacular! One year we were blessed with a glorious full moon that was amazing as well...I've been waiting for that TR!! Hint, Hint

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moonbow or night rainbow

So cool, spaceycasey!! Waiting for that TR!!

Southeast US
Level Contributor
181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moonbow or night rainbow

I once saw a moonbow on BI, coming up Chain of Craters Road after a spectacular lava view. I felt so fortunate to have both experiences; each alone was truly awe inspiring--and together...almost too much!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moonbow or night rainbow

Wow..would love to see one. How special.

Litchfield Park...
Level Contributor
166 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moonbow or night rainbow

We saw one years ago while having dinner @ Leilanis. Conditions were exactly like you describe. A once in a lifetime sight we'll never forget.

Save Reply
8. Re: Moonbow or night rainbow

I am in Maui right now and I see it! That's how I found this forum, searching for what in the world this is! OMG! This is amazing! :)

Save Reply
9. Re: Moonbow or night rainbow

I am in Maui right now and I see it! That's how I found this forum, searching for what in the world this is! OMG! This is amazing! :)

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moonbow or night rainbow

When I lived in the district of Mahinahina we had a lot of the drizzly nights.

When there was a strong moon and the moisture in the air we saw Moonbows.

The first one I saw made the traffic on Hwy 30 stop.

The rainbow colors are muted and silvery white and it is the full size of a rainbow.

I first heard of moonbows when my friend used to deliver tour boats to Oahu from Lahaina. She mentioned that they saw a lot of moon bows just north of Kaanapali @ night.