We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Trip Report, I'm hooked! Round One!

Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Trip Report, I'm hooked! Round One!

As I sit and discuss my upcoming vacation to Maui set for February-March 2013 with my fiancé, I realize he nor I posted a trip report from our first trip. We visited this year at the end of February through early March this year! So, better late than never!

After a good five months of research, (intense research by my fiancé) planning and anxiously awaiting for vacation the day finally arrived. We are a couple in our late twenties and as much as I was so excited for our getaway, I wasn't sure I could leave our eight month old daughter behind!

Day 1- The flight went well but was very long! Eight plus hours on the plane was enough for me! However; after stepping off the plane I knew it was well worth it. Before going I was told by a friend that, "you will never forget the smell of Hawaii!" Immediately, the aroma of Maui surrounded me! After getting our luggage and rental car it was time to check into our "new home" for the next eight days, Royal Lahaina! I can't complain about my "new home!" it is a very nice hotel, very clean and modern. We stayed in the tower and had a partial ocean room. All of the employees were very friendlly! We had reservations for Lahaina Grill that night! We took a cab in case we celebrated a little too much over dinner! Dinner was definitely worth the price! Five star too! Excellent food, drinks, service and although there isn't an ocean view, atmosphere was great! If you do happen to visit be sure to get the drink called,"painkiller!" So delicious and smooth and definitely could be a painkiller the next day!

Day 2- Whales! Loved looking out the lanai out towards the ocean! We seen a lot of whale activity! After getting ready for the day and becoming acquainted with Maui we headed out west/northwest to view the Nakalele blow-hole. The winds were fierce and the blow-hole wasn't too active but it was definitely a sight to see! After sightseeing it was time to beach it for a bit and soak up some rays! Oh and enjoy our Mai tais! Yum! Dinner that night was at Star Noodle! We had to wait as we didn't make reservations but it was worth the wait! Love the idea of share plates! If you eat there, do get the brussels sprouts and pad Thai. It was so delish we returned later in the week!

Day 3- The most adventurous day for us! Up early to take the ferry to

Lanai! Ferry ride was good in the am and we did see whales! We rented a hummer to sightsee! Lanai is something to see that is for sure. "A whole nother world!" We seen ship-wreck beach, drove along the trails and most impressive was Garden of the Gods. We even seen a deer and a few turkeys. We were also excited about the three mile beach, Polihua!. It was simply breath-taking and very peaceful!

The ferry ride back wasn't as enjoyable for us as it was in the morning! I am not going to lie, the ride back reminded me of the show, Deadliest Catch." The waves were strong as it was raining and so strong that they were coming over the boat! My fiancé was seasick! Word of wise, do not take the 6:45 PM ferry. Take the earlier one if you do get seasick! I couldn't wait to get back on land! My Mai tai and bed was calling!

Day 4- Shop day! We slept in a bit and headed off to Wailea to sightsee and shop at the Shops of Wailea! We bought a few souvenirs for our daughter. By day four we were missing our daughter like crazy and decided next time she was coming with! We had lunch at Monkey Pods! I was especially excited because this was a place that I had picked but left disappointed. Food was just ok and the service wasn't the best! We shopped at Whaler's Village before dinner at Japengos that evening! I am not a sushi lover but my fiancé is! He enjoyed his sushi. I had a chicken and rice dish that was very good! We had dessert! Do try to coconut creme brûlée! The chocolate cake was yummy too! Our server was awesome! Very friendly! The view is amazing!

Day 5- I can't believe I haven't mentioned shave ice yet!! We had shaved ice almost every day! I couldn't resist! Ululani's of course! We tried a variety of favors! Loved coconut the best! Do get Mac nut ice cream on the bottom and top it off with snow cap! So today was the Road to Hana day! Did I survive? Um no, I did not! We only made it to mile marker ten! I got sick! Is it worth it? That I can't answer but I do know I was not going to continue on the road the way I felt! Loved the crepe and fresh pineapple from the cute little green roadside stand! There is nothing like fresh cut pineapple! One of my favorite memories of the trip was watching surfers at Ho'okipa beach. I could have watched them all day! Just wish I was brave enough to try it! Hope to try paddle boarding on my next round to Maui! We also visited Iao Valley! We debated on going to a luau so we just did the one at Royal Lahaina! It was ok!

Day 6- Beach time! We didn't spend too much time on the beach so day 6 was a beach day! My fiancé snorkeled around Black Rock. He said it was amazing. Because I didn't snorkel, after beaching it, we headed to Maui Ocean Center for my snorkeling! It was nice and educational. However, the turtle exhibit was closed when we were there! Bad timing! Loved the little gift shop! Bought a few more souvenirs! We didn't make it up for sunrise, but we decided to drive up the Haleakala Mountain in the afternoon! It wasn't as breathtaking as it probably is in the early am hours. Cold yes! Would I do it again? Yes, in the morning for the sunrise!

Day 7- Whale watching! I was a little nervous to take the Trilogy Tour after the crazy ferry ride back but I was anxious to see the whales! What a wonderful experience! We did see whales! Would recommend Trilogy to anyone! Very friendly staff! Did get a little seasick but seeing the whales made it worth it! We drove to Kapulua for more souvenirs after our whale trip! I am a heavy packer so we also had to stop to the post office to mail a few things home so we had room for our souvenirs! Our souvenirs included; Mac nuts, coffee, Chocolates, plenty of shirts and who could forget the Honolulu cookies!? The perfect ending to our last night in Maui was spent where we started our trip! Lahaina Grill! Again couldn't be more satisfied!

Day 8- Bittersweet feelings! Sad to leave but happy to get home to our little girl! The phone calls didn't do justice! We spent our final hours in Paia! Also had to watch the surfers one more time! We had lunch at The Flatbread company! Very good pizza! Fun atmosphere!

Couldn't leave without having our last shave ice for dessert either!

Stepping onto the plane I had to take one more good sniff of Hawaii! I'm hooked and can't wait to get back for round two!

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Trip Report, I'm hooked! Round One!

Thanks for the trip report. Delayed or not, it's always fun to read. We'll be looking forward to TR - Round 2!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,159 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Trip Report, I'm hooked! Round One!

Sounds like a lovely trip, glad you had fun..thanks for the TR!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,117 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Trip Report, I'm hooked! Round One!

As always...better late then never. Ahh that first whiff of soft island air, wonderful!

Level Contributor
34,723 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Trip Report, I'm hooked! Round One!

It sounds like you had a great time in paradise. We also love Ululani's shave ice which we had in Lahaina and they one by the airport before we boarded our plane home. Thank you for the report! :)

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Trip Report, I'm hooked! Round One!

Great job on your trip report with excellent details!

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
752 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Trip Report, I'm hooked! Round One!

Great report! Thanks for sharing!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,924 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Trip Report, I'm hooked! Round One!

You are right, better late than never!! Thanks for taking the time, Aubielynn, appreciate it!!! Are you bringing baby next trip?

connecticut
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Trip Report, I'm hooked! Round One!

Definately do sunrise. It is AWESOME! We were picked up at 1:30 AM . Well worth getting up that early!

Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Trip Report, I'm hooked! Round One!

Yes we couldn't do it again without taking our daughter! Do you have any tips for us?

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Trip Report, I'm hooked! Round One!

""I wasn't sure I could leave our eight month old daughter behind!""

Maui has gotten to many of us non-locals in a life changing way. you express your Aloha well. But regarding leaving your daughter behind; you are tougher than I am. Cripes, I still feel bad leaving them behind now and they're 27 and 30.

But I show them my pics ;)