We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to be aware of in Maui?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
What to be aware of in Maui?

So it got close, I thought I should ask about bad stuff if there's any.

With two kids, what should we be aware of in Maui? Staying at Whaler at Kaanapali beach, 9th floor.

I read a bit about painful bites from huge centipedes, and even came across some, as described, deadly shells (?!). Some mentioned deadly sea snakes.

I just wonder if there's anything else and how much are those things of a real concern.

Are there any tips about those centipedes?

Thanks

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to be aware of in Maui?

Water safety would be the number one thing to be aware of IMO. Here's a few tips that might be of help: hawaii.com/travel/…water_safety_in_maui.php

We haven't experienced any run ins with centipedes or sea snakes (thankfully).

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to be aware of in Maui?

I've never seen a centipede....I don't think there are any sea snakes on Maui, and I've never heard of deadly shell! Have you been reading all the OCD threads lately? :) kidding (kinda)

No, but really not many critters, I've never even gotten a mosquito bite I don't think. Just if you're snorkellig you need to avoid sea urchins which can have sharp spines, and just be careful hiking, there are serious cliffs, and falling rocks at the waterfalls etc.

Have fun,

Dave

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to be aware of in Maui?

I hadn't heard of the deadly shells before. Maybe they meant sea urchins. Those stings can be painful. Wear water shoes and be carefully when snorkeling. They are something to be aware of not a big concern.

You would be lucky if you see a centipede, take a picture.

Sea snake? Maybe they mean eels, but once again I have never heard of anyone being bitten by an eel, take a picture if you see one.

Sometimes there are jellyfish, but thankfully that is rare too.

Anytime you go in the ocean you need to be aware of your surroundings, but waves and currents are more dangerous the then critters by in large. Personally I am on a mission to see a white tip reef shark. Curious little fellows I am told, but not dangerous.

I am more worried about the timeshare salesmen. :}

Use lots of sunscreen (probably the biggest heath hazard) and have fun!

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to be aware of in Maui?

There is the yellow-bellied sea snake in Hawaiian waters but you are unlikely to see it. Only 20 recorded sightings...ever. Those urchins are a lot more plentiful. Don't touch anything under water.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to be aware of in Maui?

Thanks for quick replies.

Shells:

www.mauioceancenter.com/index.php…

Snakes:

There seem to be some that normally live way off shore, some Yellow Belly or something like that.

I did not know obviously, but came across questions people ask before they travel.

Thanks again.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,970 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to be aware of in Maui?

Really, your biggest concern should be about educating your kids about the ocean safety! Honest! You are staying in a large resort area and they spray for all the bugs. Sea snakes? They are hyper vigilant about those darn things!

Do check out the reef etiquite video http://forthesea.com/clips/clips-psa.html

And make sure they wear flip-flops on the hot sand!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to be aware of in Maui?

As others have mentioned , ocean safety is the biggest danger, even on a seemingly calm day. The kids and I have all been victims of a rogue wave, we were lucky and only got "rolled" , fortunately . But it was a huge heads up for us and we have learned to watch the ocean for a good 20 minutes before entering and then not turning our backs. But we have found Maui to be generally "pest" free. We even love the occasional gecko visitor!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to be aware of in Maui?

Just be sure to use lots of sunscreen, don't freak out if a gecko jumps on your table....they're good luck and harmless....and don't turn your back on the water getting out or getting in! Maui's a blast! Have fun....Deb

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,399 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to be aware of in Maui?

Aloha,

Like all of the Islands and most tourist destinations in the World.

Dont leave anything of value in your car and trunk.

We also have the two legged snakes

Aloha

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to be aware of in Maui?

Pupu'ala. Wow!

I am not like most people. I like the small things. While other people are looking at the fish, I am looking at the sea amenities.Now you just gave me something else to look for. Thanks. :)