We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good/Cheap and independent car rental company

Vancouver
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Good/Cheap and independent car rental company

Years ago when we visited Maui last there was a company we rented from that operated just outside of the airport. They rented cars that were a little older but for much less than the big companies and that "blended in" more with local vehicles. Can anyone recommend a similar company or point to the web presence of the company I might be thinking of?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good/Cheap and independent car rental company

http://www.mauicarrental.biz/

We used Franks friendly car rental when we were in Maui last year, it was excellant. We had an older Toyota and it was very clean and ran like a top. No problems at all. Check out his web site above.

Cheers

Marjorie

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,259 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good/Cheap and independent car rental company

Suggest getting a quote from http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ which is often recommended here. They arrange rentals through the major rental companies.

I'm not familiar with Frank's (mentioned in the above post) but looking at their rates, I think you can do better renting with the major agencies at most times of the year ... but worth checking with them since I think your trip is at Christmas, which makes it really challenging to find reasonable rental rates.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good/Cheap and independent car rental company

+1 for Discount Hawaii Car Rental. We got a 10 day rental for ~$300, whereas Avis / Hertz wanted $600+ for the same size vehicle and duration.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good/Cheap and independent car rental company

Not out side the airport but will pick you up and drop off is Kihei Car rental. they have older cars and jeeps. Like other have said usually Discount Hawaii Car Rental can beat their prices. also when you make a reservation with DHCR you can email them a month or so out and ask for requote. If prices have dropped they will change you to the lower price. I booked in Jan. Had prices checked in July,DHRC change to the new lower price saved $275 for two weeks. They work with all the major companies and spouse is free.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Wailuku, Hawaii
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good/Cheap and independent car rental company

Try Aloha Rent A Car.

6. Re: Good/Cheap and independent car rental company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:16