We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying 2 weeks on Maui & Honolulu-how many days on each?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
296 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Staying 2 weeks on Maui & Honolulu-how many days on each?

Should we stay a week on each island or divide it up differently for more/less on the islands.

We are doing an island hop from Honolulu to the Volcano Park one day....this is a must see for us.

Please advise how we should divide the days between the islands and why.

Thank you.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying 2 weeks on Maui & Honolulu-how many days on each?

Think about what you want to see and do on Oahu and on Maui, and you'll have your answer. If your main interests are the historic sights and Waikiki, a few nights will be plenty. Then you have one very long day at VNP. (Sure you don't want to overnight in Volcano fly to Maui from Hilo? It would save you a 'hop'.)

When are you planning to visit Hawaii? Who is coming? (Ages, interests.) You might like a hotel on Waikiki for a few nights, then a condo on Maui. Condos are more logical for families and for stays of at least a week.

You'll need to reserve a rental car everywhere outside of Honolulu proper. Do you have your flights?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying 2 weeks on Maui & Honolulu-how many days on each?

I would split the nights 50-50. I would day-trip to Hilo from Honolulu, as there are more direct flight options.

Both Maui and Oahu ... well, you can easily, easily fill a week on both.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying 2 weeks on Maui & Honolulu-how many days on each?

I agree with ChiSue ... once you know what you want to do/see on each island, it will help with your decision. We've done two split stays, with a short portion on Oahu and longer portion on Maui.

I also suggested in your other thread to consider going from Honolulu to Hilo to Maui ... it will save on the time and expense of another flight. i.e. if you do the trip from Honolulu to Hilo and back to Honolulu ... you then have to fly to Maui another day. With your flights to and home from Hawaii, that's a lot of airport time in 2 weeks.

Are you booking your flights from home to Oahu and return from Maui?

Edited: 24 July 2012, 16:21
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying 2 weeks on Maui & Honolulu-how many days on each?

.... just to add, I think Sue's advice re spending a night in Volcano is an excellent one. IMO it would be preferable to spend the money on that rather than the extra cost of another flight. It would also give you a chance to spend more time at VNP, without taking any time away from Oahu or Maui. Maybe 4 nights Oahu, 1 night Volcano, the rest on Maui.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying 2 weeks on Maui & Honolulu-how many days on each?

For our upcoming February trip (as per our interests), we will split 5 nights in Oahu - 1 night in Hilo (to see the volcano), then 6 nights in Maui. There is a direct flight from Hilo to Maui so it saves time !

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying 2 weeks on Maui & Honolulu-how many days on each?

We did a split trip a few years ago -- 10 days on Maui and 5 days in Waikiki. Seemed to be the perfect amount of time for each.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying 2 weeks on Maui & Honolulu-how many days on each?

I'd say 5 days on Oahu and the rest in Maui. Personally, if you're not staying on the BI I'm not sure I'd take the hop over to see VNP. Visit Haleakala while on Maui for the same type of experience. It's not like you get to hike by the active part of the volcano.

8. Re: Staying 2 weeks on Maui & Honolulu-how many days on each?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2013, 10:17